• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VCF Alabama anyone?

linuxlove

Veteran Member
Since I don't want to go bumping any more threads more than they already have, let's start a new one.

Anyone around Alabama/Georgia want to get together and have a vintage computer meet?

Sure! Just let me know when, and I'll bring my SWTPC 6800 out! We'll have a REAL game of Tic-Tac-Toe going! :)

BTW, I'm going to be at Auburn for the next four years! And I think the SWTPC might be going with me, depending on if I have room or not.

Kyle

Anyone around Alabama/Georgia want to get together and have a vintage computer meet?

You just recently missed VCF South (Texas). And you might consider traveling to VCF East 7.0 (next May in New Jersey.)

But, for the record, it's only a "Vintage Computer Festival" if it's endorsed and co-organized with VintageTech, which is a California-based consultancy that founded and owns the event.

heh. Texas and New Jersey are a bit out of driving range for us, so unless we suddenly got a lot of money, going to VCF East 7 is not an option.

heh. Texas and New Jersey are a bit out of driving range for us, so unless we suddenly got a lot of money, going to VCF East 7 is not an option.
So then organize a local vintage computer meetup of some sort.
Find a place, like a library or somebody's house. Choose a day. Advertise. Meet. (rinse and repeat)

Actually, there is a VCF South (Texas) coming in August!

Check threads from a couple fo months ago.

You just recently missed VCF South (Texas). And you might consider traveling to VCF East 7.0 (next May in New Jersey.)

But, for the record, it's only a "Vintage Computer Festival" if it's endorsed and co-organized with VintageTech, which is a California-based consultancy that founded and owns the event.

I still think Texas would be too far. The best option for a new VCF would probably be "Southeast VCF." That could include Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and some other neighboring states. That would help keep driving to a minimum.

Meeting in Birmingham (the heart of the Heart of Dixie!) seems like a good option. The hamfest meets at the Zamora Temple, but if we get enough interest, there is also the BJCC. We still would have to rent it out, though. That costs money, unfortunately.

Then there is also the possibility of doing it at someone's house or at a public park somewhere.

Kyle

And that's why I bothered to re-make this thread.
Right, but instead of trying to organize a full-blown VCF(tm), you need to start smaller and more local(er).

See if you can get a few locals together, just to sit and talk, anywhere. No need to haul out machines right away. Besides, it's probably easier just to bring photos on a flash drive, if someone else brings a laptop. Once you start talking, stuff will just start to happen. One person may know someone else who's interested, or a better meeting place. Next thing you know, you're co-founder of a vintage computer group with over 230 members. (Oh sorry, that's me)

Nothing against Erik's system, but how many of the users on here do you think are from Alabama, much less from closer than a 3 hour drive? Start an email list. Post it to your local Craigslist. Get in contact with locals that way, then decide to meet and go on from there. You can do it, it just takes time.

Andy

Yup.. Andy's right on the technique though I'm guilty of not doing it myself, but lots of local tech groups can be found online and from there and some local mailing lists you can get folks meeting for just about anything once you find a nice place that isn't too loud to talk and doesn't mind a system or two walking in the door (most don't since it gains some attention).

Sometimes you just need to announce a meeting (there's also meetup.com but I don't like places that cost money) and be able to sit through the first few yourself with a potential straggler or two may walk by to ask about it. It can take a few meetings but you'll find that audience I'm sure.

I think that's a great idea! If you're in Auburn, and geoffm3 is in Huntsville, Birmingham would seem like the most central location. I'll see what I can work out.

Kyle

I'll also have to see what I can work up. Since I still live under my parents house and am too young to drive, going to Birmingham might be a little much just for the sole purpose of having fun with vintage computers, but maybe it can be a vintage computer meet and family meet for me L:

Back