• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VCF East 8.0 was awesome

I agree! I had a great time, met some of the folks from this website, met people I've bought from or sold stuff to. The lectures/info sessions were great. Certainly time well spent. Congrats to all that helped make it possible.

Kipp

Pics or it didn't happen :D

Seriously, very much looking forward to seeing pictures and videos from the event. Sad that I couldn't make it.

- Earl

Where do we order the movie? j/k Congrats on another year and successful VCF! Guess I'll have to invent something someday to cover costs to attend.

I posted a link to my pics, but on another thread. Or check the current home page of my website

Here is one

thm_Sudbrink_exhibit_SWTPC_CT-64.jpg

The SWTPc CT-64 terminal, opened.

Last edited:
As a first timer, I had a fantastic experience. I can easily see myself returning next year.

I was expecting that this was going to be held in more of a standard, modernish, conference hall/convention center, or perhaps something closer to a pole barn at the state fair. We were instead in 100 year old brick buildings tucked into the woods in a nice and quiet section of town. The buildings just had so much history to them that I could easily spend a weekend there just learning about all the things and breakthroughs that were contained within the walls themselves. I didn't spend nearly enough time looking at the communications history section of the building; there's stuff from marconi, the apollo missions, and a sweet giant satellite dish just down the street, plus a shipwreck museum with all kinds of crazy stuff dredged up from the bottom of the ocean.

oh yeah, there was some kind of old computer geek festival going on at the same time. Nearly forgot about that. ;)

I loved the classes I was able to attend. I only wish that each class were held in their own time slot, as I wished to have gone to a couple of them that were happening concurrently.

The keynote speakers on both days were top notch. Being able to shake hands with the guy (Thomas Kurtz, co-inventor of BASIC) who I can trace my entire career back to was mindblowing when I thought about it, and even when Dan Kottke's talk ran way long, no one seemed to mind a bit; we were all riveted to our chairs. I have re-hashed as many of his stories back to my co-workers as I can remember. I wish I had a transcript. I also loved the Babbage Engine talk. I'd known about the machine, but never fully grasped the concept or knew any of the background until now.

I will definitely be more social next time too; I rather kept to myself, especially when I realized that the depth of my knowledge is shallow compared to the people around me!

Back