• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VCF Swap Meet - June 10, 2023 - Wall, NJ

This was my second outdoor swap meet, my first was April 2021. I thought foot traffic was reduced this time, compared to last time. Probably a few factors played into that - I'm sure some people were worried about air quality with the smoke from Canada just days before. But I seem to recall that admission was free for buyers back in 2021?

I have the numbers. Foot traffic was about the same as last year (2022). I know for a fact that it kept away some of the vendors because they had asthma or other conditions that prevented them from safely coming. Two or three had cancelled. There are undoubtedly some buyers who didn't come for the same reasons. They weather was perfect. Sunny, no rain, not too hot. We started charging $5 last year (Oct. 2022). Previous years (2020, 2021, Feb. 2022) it was free, but that was because we were just starting. If you go to any hamfest, they charge you $10 to get in. It has only prevented those that weren't interested in the swap meet at all. For example, people just passing by who didn't know it was a vintage computer meet and thought that it was a general yard sale. When they found out it was vintage computers, then they drove off.. We always get about 5 or 6 of them each year. $5 isn't too much for people to spend and we make it free for under 13. We need to cover our expenses and have also made this a fundraiser to support renovating our new museum space.

I did get a late start on the advertising because VCF's social media manager was too busy so I had to do it myself. Also Hackaday delayed their article because I wasn't sure if we were going to postpone because of the smoke.

I'm always looking to improve the swap meet and will do better in October. I'm welcome to questions, comments or suggestions. You can email them to swapmeet@vcfed.org.

By the way, does anyone know the guy who sold the Atari laser printers?

Thanks!

Jeff Brace

Anyhow, if the guy who bought my Dell D410 laptop with dock & stand is reading this - contact me - I found more parts for that PC!

I want to go to this every time it shows up but my lack of car makes it impossible. I thought about renting a car for the event but it just doesn't add up to my economy. Maybe one day I can go.

Back