• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vectrix Pepe Processor Card Rev. C EGA and other vintage cards.

tyone123

I work at a machine shop, which I will not disclose unless I end up listing in the for sale section some larger items which would require pick-up.

My boss had no idea he was sitting on the motherlode of IBM and compatible systems, even some Data General mainframes with disk packs.
I've taken up the task of running a company eBay page, but some items I just can't find pricing or function for.

This card I've found has a stub article on Wikipedia, but I know its usage now. Does anyone know how I should go about getting drivers and testing this unit?
Any insight into their worth?

I've got a box of varied cards from this time period and nearby eras of computing sitting beside my desk, and about 12 IBM systems ranging from '82 to '92 out in a school bus waiting for cleaning and testing.
Hoping this forum is friendly and that I can learn a lot from interacting here.

The Vectrix Pepe was intended as a secondary graphics adapter--you still needed an MDA or CGA for system use. In a way, it was a bit like the TIGA cards--drivers for only a set of mostly CAD programs--you needed a display compatible with the card as well. An IBM PGC predecessor.

See under ISA for details. Vectrix was swallowed up by Everex sometime during the 1980s.

Welcome to the forums. For getting a handle on identifying boards, you usually need to provide hi-res pictures of said boards. Determining fair prices is usually done via searching SOLD ebay auctions (not active listings, and not unsold listings) and figuring out the average. You can ask here too, but collectors will generally quote you 50-70% of sold ebay prices due to no ebay fees.

If you're wondering about anything DG-related, drop a line to Bruce Ray at Wild Hare Computing (he's on the web). Bruce is the font of knowledge about anything from Data General.

https://imgur.com/a/JoWqb3X Here's an IMGUR album of expansion cards I've dug up, I'll dig up the systems later today and document them as well.

Thanks a ton for the information Chuck, I'm 21 with a huge passion for computers, any information is appreciated and retained.
Finding all of these systems in a field of truck trailers and rusty school buses at my job is like a dream come true, I've finally used my first 286 system and get to semi-restore several of them.

Thanks a ton for the information Chuck, I'm 21 with a huge passion for computers, any information is appreciated and retained.
Finding all of these systems in a field of truck trailers and rusty school buses at my job is like a dream come true, I've finally used my first 286 system and get to semi-restore several of them.

That's awesome :) Best of luck with the rest.

How do you see any picture beyond the first one in an album?
I don't see any obvious way with an ordinary web browser

Ted McCracken was my computer architecture instructor in maybe 2008. A few times in class he mentioned some of the startups he worked in the 1980s-90s, including Vectrix! He mentioned they built one of the first 3D megapixel video systems, and had to find(build?) displays that could do those resolutions as well, since everyone else was running around 320x240 or less back then. The early units were quite large, but eventually they fit it into XT/AT slots - I bet that's what you've got.

If you don't mind, please take a picture of the card for Wikipedia before you sell it.

Back