• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Verified: TWO revisions of the Type F Key 83 Keyboard

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
So a while back a thread was posted on a very early revision 5150A. More interesting to me was the fact that the keyboard connector on this board was metal in nature and not the usual molded plastic with the IBM logo. The early consensus was that it was a replacement after market connector.

However, since that thread was started I noted two other instances of the same connector, all associated with very early 5150As.

So today when I saw an IBM 83 Key Model F at the local Goodwill with the metal connector I had to pick it up for the princely sum of $5 :). I got home and got one of my plastic connector keyboards and opened them up sided by side. This is what I found:

Side By Side (Custom).jpg

The only external difference between the two keyboards is the connectors. Internally though it is a different story. The basic design and construction are the same given that the external frame are the same part numbers for both keyboards. However, the earlier revision board has a much less integrated circuit board. The internal part numbers are also different. The earlier boards have a lower part number. There is also a reference to a test number and much more info on who prepared and tested the keyboard.

Model F - 4584653 (Custom).jpg

Model F -4584653 Part Numbers (Custom).jpg

Model F 4584656 (Custom).jpg

Model F 4584656 Part Numbers (Custom).jpg

Last edited:
Here is a close up of the circuit board and the Intel IC used:

Early Revision
Model F 4584653 Circuit Board (Custom).jpg

More Common/Later Revision
Model F 4584656 Circuit Board (Custom).jpg

Unfortunately my KB with the metallic connector did not come with a box so I don't know if the part number was different on the box. Also mine was missing the sticker on the back panel which lists the part number so again I am not sure if there is a difference in that part number (it is 1801449 on the newer board). I'd assume there would be as there is a difference on the internal part numbers.

I'll have to check out my keyboards tomorrow, see if I have one of the odd PCB ones, the only odd 83 key Model F I have (and have seen in real life) is a EMR keyboard, with shielded guts, cabling, etc. The cable there reminds me of the EMR keyboard cable, as seen here.

EMRCable-Small.jpg

The 1983 IBM XT technical reference describes "Type 1" and "Type 2" keyboards. Looking at the date codes, I'd guess that they switched to "Type 2" in late 1981 or early 1982. The schematics show completely different circuits, and the microcontroller code would have to be different too. Are you able to dump the contents of the "Type 1" microcontroller?

(I recently stripped down a "Type 2" keyboard for parts, which I think must have been quite an early one of its kind: its microcontroller was an 8748 (with EPROM window) rather than an 8048, the cable had the 'reset' pin connected, and the plug was black plastic but without the moulded "IBM".)

John,

I checked out both the First Edition and he Revised (2.02) 1983 IBM XT Tech Ref and could not see a reference to the two keyboard types. Can you tell me what page you found it on? Thanks!

A bit of TLC was needed:

Apart for Cleaning (Custom).jpg

Not bad for a 30+ year old Goodwill found KB!

Model F Type 1 Top View (Custom).jpg

Model F Type 1 Bottom View (Custom).jpg

And some close ups of the connector:

Model F Type 1 Connector 1 (Custom).jpg

Model F Type 1 Connector 2 (Custom).JPG

As per the other thread, I just bought a keyboard (supposedly in its original box) with a metal connector. The only number on the box is 1501100. No stickers on the box, no sticker on the keyboard.

photo.jpg photo2.jpg

I'll have to check out my keyboards tomorrow, see if I have one of the odd PCB ones, the only odd 83 key Model F I have (and have seen in real life) is a EMR keyboard, with shielded guts, cabling, etc. The cable there reminds me of the EMR keyboard cable, as seen here.

View attachment 14203

So this is an EMR keyboard?? Did someone just switch the name plate on the front?? will it work with a PC ? I haven't tried it with a PC.

View attachment 14261View attachment 14262View attachment 14263

I can confirm they work fine on a PC or XT, I've used mine that way.

Also, congrats, you have the 2nd EMR keyboard with a standard 5-pin DIN connector I've ever seen.

I can confirm they work fine on a PC or XT, I've used mine that way.

Also, congrats, you have the 2nd EMR keyboard with a standard 5-pin DIN connector I've ever seen.

I bought it thinking that it could be an extremely early model or prototype... I'm not crazy about the thick non-coiled wire and may throw it on ebay.

A bit of necroposting here but I found more evidence that the initial conclusions were right/confirmed some of the info presented. These pictures are from a recent listing in eBay:

This is an original 5150A with the original keyboard. Note the very early serial number (4400) and the metal connector. There is also a lack of "Type F" label on the bottom of the keyboard and the box which matches the Type 2 one with the same model number.

Model F Type 1 Connector (Medium).jpg

Model F Type 1 No Label on Bottom (Medium).jpg

Model F Type 1 Original Box (Medium).jpg

Back