• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Very late to the party

Teletech

Experienced Member
Pavl here for those who might remember me from IRL.
With my first computer being a Commodore-64 and my second being a PDP-11/34a and attendance to all the west-coast VCFs from 2.0 (and a missed one recently), It's only sheer luck I haven't happened to join the forum sooner.

I'll mostly be trying to place orphans that don't fit into my main collection (PDP-11s) for a while, so that I can actually get to the PDPs I do plan to keep without guilt.

Welcome to the forum. Wish i could attend VCFs but it is a bit of a trip for me.

You need to make 10 posts before you can PM and get out of moderated posts. Its annoying but it cuts out spammers.

You need to make 10 posts before you can PM and get out of moderated posts. Its annoying but it cuts out spammers.
I guessed as much, the scammers and spammers are a big part of the reason we can't have nice things.
Still, I've had some of this hardware for ~35 years, so a little more time isn't going to change things.

Is there a VCF-UK yet?

Well, I was offering a couple of years ago to think about organising one - but Covid put paid to that!

Happy to 'dust off' the thinking - but only if there is interest and it can be self-funding...

Dave

Random notes, where to put them...
I could stick them in DEC, but I'll start here.

Someone requested I sell them a VT100, so I had to dust a couple off and have a go. I found two boards with bad video ram, got that sorted but I needed keyboards, so out comes the pile of about 20 LK07s, half of which are missing keys. A few hours of moving keycaps late I've only got 10 that are missing keys and a couple it's just the setup key, not too bad.
Then it was on to look at my old VAX-11/750, very dusty that and I'd forgotten which port the console plugged into. A little checking the diagram inside the console and one of the newly fixed VT100s was hooked up and after a few tries I got a baud-rate match.
It takes a lot of hours to dust off those long-unused neurons, but it's coming back. Time to pick up a few of the pending projects from years back:
First I need to assess which of my RA73s drives still work and are bootable on a pdp-11, then see if any will boot on a VAX. I'm not ready to tackle the PDP-11/70 quite yet, especially with another one on the way,
So, time to blow the dust out of the ol' world-box and cram a 11/53+ in there and interrogate the drives. After that I guess I'll swap to a KA630 to check for bootable drives.
Then it's back to the 750, but that's not now. Now it's 11/53 time! Wish me luck.
Proof you don't need JWST to get a close-up of a comet.
DSC_1038.JPG

In retrospect, putting a cover over this keyboard might have been the thing to do.
DSC_1040.JPG
I thought I'd get back to the project in a couple weeks, honestly!
DSC_1041.JPG

Last edited:
Back