• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VG Vector 1++ floppy drive power connector

Great to see! Did you try booting CP/M on this machine? (G D800)?

I did. It boots the disk and I see the opening headings and a solid cursor but I can't type anything. The drive head appears to be engaged but nothing more happens. I was able to run a couple of commands in MZOS so the drive alignment seems to be okay but I wonder if I have enough memory or maybe some bad memory at the moment. This is the first time this computer is booting in countless years so everything is suspect at this point, I guess. Note: W9 has the 4 mhz jumper in with the Z80 card so that should be okay, I think.

Couldn't have done it without your help. Thanks for indirectly starting a new project for me! Hoping someone pops up with a 1.5 MZOS ROM or a 1.4 MZOS disk.

I would also love to see some applications that people ran under MZOS. It may be that running Northstar DOS apps was the most common scenario since it was upward compatible from Northstar DOS. I have a Northstar controller that I'm going to get up and running on my Sol-20 soon. Maybe then I'll find out more about what people ran under Northstar DOS.

Mike
A long time after your original post I know,... and not sure if anyone is still looking for a 1.5 MZOS ROM? I was sorting through a box of old semiconductors donated to me recently (probably in storage for decades). I came across a grey and gold 2708 EPROM with a label 'MZOS 1.5 C400 c' label. This post was the only reference I could find to it, so I am guessing it is from an old Vector Graphics machine. Two legs partially broken, but I could still read the entire contents via my EPROM reader. If there was a set of roms, I only have this one, not the whole set. Please let me know if anyone still looking for this?

Attachments

• mzos 1.5 EPROM.PNG
    mzos 1.5 EPROM.PNG
    405.9 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for posting! It would be great to have the 1.5 PROM instead of having to patch 1.5 disk code to use the 1.4 PROM. Reach me: directly: deramp5113 followed by ASCII 0x40 followed by the yahoo domain name.

Mike D

I need to reconfigure my MZ to run MZOS again so I can play with the 1.5 PROM and verify it’s good. Unfortunately, I can’t move my heavy machines around for another few weeks due to surgery. I’ll post the 1.5 PROM file today in case anyone else might be able to try it. I‘ll add notes as to which disk images should be used with it as well.

Mike

I have uploaded the MZOS 1.5 ROM and also tested it under SIMH. As expected, the version 1.5x disk images now work without having to be patched (as required previously with the version 1.4 ROM). I also updated the ReadMe file discuss the new ROM version. Thanks again for copying you version 1.5 ROM for us!

I'll be running this on real hardware soon. If anyone wants to do the same, get in touch with me if you need help.

Mike D

Back