• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VHS Cart: "Inside Disk Drives" 1994 from CSC

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I've never played this (NTSC) VHS cart, so I can't say what's on it. It just came with a bunch of other stuff from Sunnyvale's Corporate Systems Center. It's dated 1994.

Bulleted points are:

• How they work
  • Installation
  • Operation
  • Troubleshooting

As I no longer have the setup to play this thing, perhaps someone would like to have this.

If nobody else wants it (should ship media mail for next to nothing in the US) I can get it digitized.

Yea, give people a few days since everyone isn't glued to the forum like me. Is this a tech DEMO video that might have some cool information or just a sales tool?

The tape arrived in the mail today and I'll start transferring it. It looks like it only has about 10-15 minutes' of material on it, so it might be more of a CSC advertisement than anything else, but we'll find out tonight.

The tape is 50% marketing for CSC services and 50% information (with much of it about SCSI). I'm thinking of editing out the marketing parts, as CSC doesn't exist any more and it's just filler. Opinions?

The tape is 50% marketing for CSC services and 50% information (with much of it about SCSI). I'm thinking of editing out the marketing parts, as CSC doesn't exist any more and it's just filler. Opinions?

Hmm, I'd say upload an unedited version and an edited version. That way we get the best of both worlds.

I would keep it all for historical purposes, people can fast forward to the stuff that interest them. As you said it was a short tape anyway. Or you can can make 2 videos (whole and the good stuff).

Is that true? I thought Martin had combined forces with Digital Loggers and moved to digs on Walsh in Santa Clara. Are they now OOB?

I don't know, I'm going off of their old website address (down) and the business listing for Corporate Systems Center (defunct). I hadn't heard of them until tonight. What was their core business? The video makes it seem like they were a reseller that provided integration services.

Back in the 80s-90s, they were big in disk drives and controllers, specializing in high-end stuff. I used to have a couple of their caching SCSI controllers ("Fastcache" brand). I probably have more than a couple 5.25" FH SCSI and ESDI drives from them. I used to have an 7-CD SCSi minitower that they offered as well. Martin Bodo, assuming he's still around, is a font of information.

But sigh, times change. When you can purchase 6TB drives cheap from Newegg, a 670 MB drive doesn't seem nearly as exotic as it once did.

I kind of like the old hard drives from companies no longer around running in my machines where I can hear them saving and loading data. Micropolis for example made the first AudioVideo rated drives that did thermal calibration on the fly so it would not stop when saving video. Nobody knows that brand anymore.

Chuck what board interface did those Fastcache controllers use?

Back