• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Video Card Recommendations?

ScanDisk

Veteran Member
I got a "new" computer a couple days ago. quad core i5 3.20ghz 64bit.

it's only weak spot is the current GPU being just a Nvidia GTX 745.

I want to upgrade it. I am looking at things between $200 to $300 Canadian. I see many 4gb GDDR5 cards within that range.

I went inside the box today, and was able to confirm that the power supply is only 460W.

I also saw that the PS only has what I think are 6pin connectors.

38025537_10212766990513784_147131698226659328_n.jpg

Recommendations that will fit within my budget and with the current PS are welcome. Oh, and lastly, HDMI output is a must, also if audio can also be put through that same HDMI out, that'd be a plus.

yeah, I am aware that both audio and video can go through HDMI. Though video card wise I am not sure if all video cards would also put audio through, being they are meant for video.

The gtx 745 does have audio pass through.

Very Very old Nvidia graphics cards needed a cable from the built in audio (digital audio out) to a plug on the Graphics card for audio in HDMI to work (Geforce 8800/9800 series for example). Anything ATI from the HD series days had audio when using a DVI to HDMI adapter (and some needed special adapters as well).

Anyway I have a 4gb RX580 and I like it. Gefroce cards seem to be more expensive for same gaming ability. I think that card needs 500W supply minimum system spec.

yeah, I am aware that both audio and video can go through HDMI. Though video card wise I am not sure if all video cards would also put audio through, being they are meant for video.

The gtx 745 does have audio pass through.

This would be a very good upgrade for your system as it was top tier just a few years back before the 1080's took over:

https://www.amazon.com/Nvidia-GeFor...TF8&qid=1532901305&sr=8-5&keywords=nvidia+980.

Shop for a slightly better price and possibly a 980 TI. What ever way you go, ensure that your P/S is up to the task.

The GTX 745 is a budget (OEM) card not meant for gaming. Memory bandwidth for DDR3 is below 30GB/sec.

raw performance
Shading units 384
Texture mapping units 24
Render output processors 16
Pixel rate 16.53 GPixel/s
Texture rate 24.79 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance 793.3 GFLOPS

Back