• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Videobrain

An old thread, but for preservation sakes here is the recent eBay listing photos of a sold APL/S cartridge and manual. After all these years it actually has been floating around somewhere out there! And hopefully not the only one.

Still wishing to eventually see the ROMs dumped and complete manual scanned. It would be quite a fun experiment to dive into APL/S development and produce new things for this system.

s-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600.jpg

I know who won the APL/S cart (sadly it was not me). They plan on dumping it as soon as they can.

That's fantastic news. I wonder if the VideoBrain screen and keyboard calls in it could be munged to call FAIRBUG on the F8 Evaluation Kit. Looking forward to further developments on the rom dump!

I suspect it needs the external module that is used for one of the other applications ( I forget which ).
It is great that we finally have someone willing to do a dump.
They have called this the information period. I've always called it the information lost period.
Dwight

Thanks
How much did the entire set go for?

A quick sale, $299 buy-it-now for all of that including Expander 1.

Here's an example of what the APL/S scripting would look like on VideoBrain.

1681872395254.png

1681872438653.png

And this is what the actual cartridge looked like, at least in some iteration of it from 1981. So if the ROM dumps make their way public, it should be possible to emulate and even reconstruct a physical cartridge in such a way. A bunch of common 2716s and a few RAM chips, mostly.

1681872504906.png
1681872577459.png

These excerpts come from Dubis7 who scanned and shared them among even a few pretty well unknown VideoBrain newsletters with lots of interesting tidbits! https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/i-have-been-blessed-with-videobrain-documentation.80042/

Back