• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Vintage 1995 Pionex 486 DX2 66 Mhz Computer

Quantex 486/66 (supplied by Fountain)

Quantex 486/66 (supplied by Fountain)

I have a Quantex 486/66 that I bought in 1992 (and still have) that looks just like this (no surprise, they were supplied by Fountain). The boxes on these units were great and I used mine into the early 2000s, through two or three motherboard upgrades. But before I upgraded the motherboard, I did a CPU upgrade from the original 486/66 to a Cyrix 5x86/133. The cool thing about this box is that you could then change the jumpers on the panel so that when you turned it on it said 133 - which I did (after some trial and error). Very cool!

(I should note that I had been originally under the impression that the "066" on the display was actually somehow tied to the CPU clock and I had thought that when I plugged in the Cyrix, the new clock speed would be sensed and it would automatically show "133" - how naive!)

Indeed, from thinking back to the 90s I originally thought my LED display automatically adjusted when I went from a P120 to a 233MMX. Imagine my surprise when I started getting into retro computing a couple years ago and realized they were just dumb displays. This Pionex box is great though. Very solid case, a great AT design. I still can't get the display to change when I hit Turbo, no matter how I arrange the jumpers. I must have shorted something out on the signal connection pin that goes to the display. But I can leave it on 66 and change the numbers with the jumpers if I need to. I'm good with that. Now I need to wait for a replacement battery to arrive from overseas before I can do anything with it -- can't run a hard drive as it won't remember the settings, even without turning the power off. Oh well.

Back