• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer Festival South 1.0

gcarrick

Announcing the upcoming Vintage Computer Festival South 1.0

Saturday and Sunday, August 7-8, 2010, Nedderman Hall, University of Texas Arlington

Sponsored by:
the Museum of Information Technology at Arlington and
the University of Texas Arlington College of Engineering

We are in the early planning stages. Right now we need to find volunteers for the following very important positions. If you would like to be responsible for one of these areas, please contact Gil Carrick at gilcarrick@gmail.com.

Exhibit Manager
Speaker Coordinator
A/V Grip
Powermeister
Vendor Manager
Special Event Manager
Registration Manager
Badge Checkers
Runners
Contest Judges

We have not yet established prices for attending or for vendors or exhibitors but if you are interested in coming, selling or showing please let us know.

I'll definitely be there! HOPEFULLY, I'll be able to put together a display of my TI CC-40/40+ collection. Maybe even have it being somewhat interactive.

Woot! Finally a VCF within driving distance! I'll definitely make my best effort (probably have to get some dos off my honey's list) but I'm quite excited! Where all have you posted btw? Did you post on cctalk and/or craigslist? Probably some other good forums out there also which folks can help spread the word. What type of vendors and/or exhibits are you looking for? I can spread the word to a few local vintage game stores and Goodwill Computers if you want they MAY attend (I'm not buds with anyone but would certainly spread the word since a good audience would be there). I'm not sure if I have anything good enough to present but while I'm there I'll certainly help out if you need (I'll go PM on that).. even at VCF west I had nothing useful to do so I helped out there a bit just to spend some extra time there.

Anyone want to admit you're going? ;-) I should be there but I think I may just drive there for a day and head back. I really do want to support the event though. Would love to keep it going, I just don't have many resources to help other than my hands.

AS I stated above, will definitely be there! Still putting together a display.

Anyone want to admit you're going? ;-) I should be there but I think I may just drive there for a day and head back. I really do want to support the event though. Would love to keep it going, I just don't have many resources to help other than my hands.

Gil (OP) is the primary contact if you shoot him an email he's pretty responsive. I was throwing him a bunch of too late ideas (perhaps next year) but trying to help build some ideas and future connections they can use. It'd be nice to get some other locals who deal in vintage gear there! The main website for the event is http://mit-a.com/VCF1.shtml

I'll be there probably Saturday to see how things go but will drive back that night. I'll look around for other board members if I can figure out where ya are.

Well, it's official, I will be exhibiting my TI CC-40 collection. Will also have a table to sell some stuff. Stuff I'll be selling will MOSTLY be larger,heavier items that usually take a hit when listed on ebay due to their weight/shipping costs. Right now, I've got a gray case Osborne 1, Osborne Exec, several items from the Radio Shack Model 100 family, a NEC 286 laptop ( I have no idea where it came from!). I'm slowly checking items out to ensure they're workable to determine whether they will be parts machines or intact.

I'm going to try and have a machine available for duping floppies. Hopefully, I'll be able to add to my library and maybe help some people out with boot disks.

Hope to see a lot of y'all there!

I'm planning on going. Hope to see you guys there.

Curtis, looking forward to your display and seeing what Model 100 stuff you have. You mentioned floppy duplication - is there software for any particular machine you're looking for?

I'm still trying to sort out what I've got right now. I know I have diskettes for Osbornes )1, Exec, and Vixen. Also found some Kaypro disks. Of course, have a couple versions of DOS.

Basically I'm trying to recreate the Don Maslin library and make it available on the web along with the Teledisk program. I know I have a L-O-N-G way to go before I even get close to what he had, but it would be nice to be have the resource again.

If anybody has anything they think would benefit from this, bring it by and I'll make an archival copy and get it posted.

Can't wait .. if things go well and I'm one of the first to your booth, this may be my last VCF Southwest per the better half ;-) Let me start another thread instead of hijack this one for a CP/M archive. Hm.. actually searching this site may provide some other links too lol.

Look forward to meeting folks!
- John

Found another thread that was started WAY back in 2006 about this subject. I also responded to that one, but will reiterate what I said there.

I'm going to donate any images I have right now and any I get next weekend to Gaby and Dave's sites so there will be at least 3 places where software images can be found for older machines.

Can't wait .. if things go well and I'm one of the first to your booth, this may be my last VCF Southwest per the better half ;-) Let me start another thread instead of hijack this one for a CP/M archive. Hm.. actually searching this site may provide some other links too lol.

Look forward to meeting folks!
- John

VCF Southwest 1.0 is now in the history books!

Had a really good time. Talked to several people about my stuff, both for sale and not. Sold a little bit and managed to not buy anything, except for a couple fo T-shirts and a nanosecond.

Next year Gil said he's going to try to schedule for September so there will at least be some UTA students there to pump attendance. Also try to get a firm date and location so we can promote the heck out of it a lot earlier.

Also, next year I think I'm going to show my Amiga stuff. It's a lot more interesting that the CC-40 as far as doing stuff with it. Games are a lot more interesting to most people over an adapter from hexbus to dockbus!

Curtis

How was day two? I'm definitely there next year though I'll have to figure out what I could display or just bring some stuff to sell. Had a good time talking with you and Brendan. I guess Channelmaniac didn't make it? Anyone else there that I didn't recognize?

It was a smallish event. Honestly I think some may have had enough of a hard time finding it we probably lost some potential walk-ins. I know it took us probably 15-20 minutes to figure it out between finding the building, parking, and then almost 10 minutes walking around in the building without figuring out where the room(s) were. Once I was there though it was pretty good and I had a great time, course most of that was me wandering throughout the day staring at all the stuff Curtis brought for sale. I think Curtis somewhat saved the event with enough stuff to cover (4?) tables and make the place look much bigger. The gentleman that runs the Antique Science & Retro-tech show was also there with some early examples of computing and several items for a live auction which went pretty well I think. Since antique science show in is March I think several folks are talking about bringing some computer items there again (it generally has some neat things to pick through).

I think if anything it will easily become a good swap meet especially for bigger systems that cost too much to ship. It'll be interesting to see which crowd ends up being there more, for the kids it will be the 80's early gaming crowd although the talks this year were catered to folks who remember the beginning of TI and Datapoint which were interesting to hear and see the equipment from lots of the early engineers.

Would you believe, I actually remembered and had room for my digital Minolta camera, but forgot the CF card. Dropped by Fry's to pick up one. Got a 4 GB and popped it into the camera which promptly rejected it because it was too F!@#$%^ big! Since when did digital cameras qualify as antiques??????

Oh well, such is life.

John, actually when it was all said and done, I filled 5 tables!

It was good to see Brendan and John there! Able to put faces to names. And to take some of their money! :biggrin:

Hopefully next year will be better advertised and some more vendors/displayers!

Yeah, it was great to meet up with John (Barythrin) and Curtis. By far, Curtis had the most stuff on display, easily 1/3 of the entire table space.

The speakers all had interesting stuff to say, from the early days of TI and their vacuum-tube based 12-bit DSPs from the 40s to DataPoint's "diddle-scan" terminals (such as the 2200) and how they eventually were used as intermediate terminal servers.

As requested, a sampling of photos:

DSC05112.jpgDSC05147.jpgDSC05150.JPGDSC05131.jpgDSC05144.jpg

I should also note that I went up early Friday morning to stop in at the Perot Group's (now Dell) exhibit in Plano. They have some unique stuff there and nice displays, and Libby Craft is a great tour guide.

How was day two?

No more speakers, a little more mellow for me, so it gave me a chance to chat some more with ex-DataPoint guys (regarding ARCNET) and buy 2 systems from Curtis. SlideRuleGuy came in with all sorts of new stuff including an interesting home-made 4x4x4 bit core memory demo and had another auction.

It was a smallish event. Honestly I think some may have had enough of a hard time finding it we probably lost some potential walk-ins. I know it took us probably 15-20 minutes to figure it out between finding the building, parking, and then almost 10 minutes walking around in the building without figuring out where the room(s) were.

I agree completely on all counts. I was much later actually arriving in the ballroom than I expected to be on the first day.

Back