• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

vintage modem to modern device alternative for Wireless usage

When I searched for "Wifi Modem" I got a bunch of cable modems and routers. When I hit YouTube, I found a video of a wifi modem on a C64.

As presented, it seemed that a wifi modem swapped out "atdt 5551212" with "atdt some.host.name:1234", and, I assume, it runs telnet (but maybe it runs ssh) to connect to the host.

If you wanted to actually use a "normal" modem, how is that different from having modem A call modem B that, when it answers, allows you to connect to some host?

I see 3 different experiences.

1) Serial line to a modern, simple Unix host (like a Raspberry Pi).
Code:
login: me
password: 

Welcome to Unix Thing
$ telnet some.host.name 1234
WELCOME TO SOME HOST
2) Serial line to a modern unix with an "ATDT shell"
Code:
ATDT some.host.name:1234
WELCOME TO SOME HOST
3) Modem to modem to unix host
Code:
ATDT 5551212
CONNECTED 1200
login: me
password:

Welcome to Unix Thing
$ telnet some.host.name 1234
4) Modem to modem to unix host with an "ATDT shell"
Code:
ATDT 5551212
CONNECTED 1200

ATDT some.host.name:1234
WELCOME TO SOME HOST

So, which experience are you trying for?

Whichever one is wireless (caveat of course). If this vintage modem inside or exterior to the machine can connect to another "modem" at the side of the retro computer and have no other wires (other than power) to connect to where it needs to connect. I want to be able to use this in my living room even if the service/computer it is routing through is somehwere else in the building.

Last edited:
While I haven't looked into this project much myself, it looks like a step in the right direction:

https://hackaday.io/project/19350-an-old-fashion-acoustic-modem-for-the-iphone

You'd be able to connect to another computer (for example, in your home) when you were away and use a shell account to do mail, ftp, etc.

I think the "acoustic coupler box" described wouldn't work with a real acoustic coupler, but something like this would:

CellPhoneReceiver.jpg

So you probably only need the software side of the project. In your specific case with no land lines, you would probably need to have a dial-in setup on the other computer, so you might want to buy 2 handsets and use this setup on both ends. But, if you have an RJ11 jackable phone system on the other end, then you could use a direct-connection modem for the other computer.

Hope that sounds more like what you are looking for.

Ah yes. I thought "built in modem AND acoustic couplers built into it" meant you had 2 options. Doesn't it have RJ11 like this one?:
https://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/actrix/DSC02195.JPG

I guess you could use an external acoustic coupler modem flipped around and laying on top! that avoids the possible issue with not having POTS line voltage.
Yes it does have RJ11 but not every system does and it would be interesting as a niche offering on those systems.

Back