• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Vintage portables from Toshiba, Compaq and IBM

qbodsyt

Hello all,

I've never posted before, just been a guest. However, I am moving to a smaller place and I thought I would make available my collection that I no longer have a place to house.

Meet my first "laptop" (Yes I actually tried to put this on my lap, silly 11 year old that I was)

The Compaq Portable II

DSCN6250.jpg

DSCN6246.jpg

Many happy afternoons did I spend playing Wolfpack by Broderbund on this gem. The details can be found here: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=870

Make me an offer, keeping in mind potential shipping costs from Ontario, Canada to wherever your location is. This unit is fully functional, though the HDD seems to be getting a little crotchety.

Meet my 2nd laptop (a little more apropo in size and weight than the first)

The Toshiba T1200

DSCN6251.jpg

DSCN6252.jpg

Prince of Persia was a favourite on this system, as well as Star Control III. Gotta love the keyboards on these bad boys. Details can be found here: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=917

Offers please. Still fully functional, it is the model with the HDD and ramdisk feature.....Very nifty unit.

Last but not least, my 4th laptop, the one that vaulted me into the Windows OS era.

The IBM 750Cs (with a swapped TFT active matrix display, no lousy passive matrix)

DSCN6253.jpg

DSCN6254.jpg

This model was used by NASA in the 1990's aboard their Space Shuttles for diagnostic/repair work on the Hubble telescope and in the construction of the ISS. I used it mostly to play Earthworm Jim......

I don't know what to ask for this unit, it's kind of in between vintage and modern, but it still works and I loved it when I got my hands on it back in 1999 with a cracked passive matrix display. We did a lot of modifiying and souping up on this little unit. Also includes the interesting 2.88mb 3.5" disk technology IBM used. Make me an offer.

All equipment is located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Paypal is accepted.

Thanks for your interest!

Still open to offers, someone tried to throw out my Portable II the other day, I fought hard to keep it just for you!

Wow. The first two were also my first two "laptops"! (Ah, the joy of dialing into BBSes at 1200 baud on a tiny greenscale CGA screen to download and view, uh.... "pictures"... at age 15.)

I'd be interested in the Compaq. Any vague shipping estimate to Portland, OR ZIP 97219? (Shipping alone may very well be more than my budget...)

Wow, I'd take that 750s if I could... Being used by NASA just makes me think it has some importance to it.

Very tempting!!!! I would love to buy that Compaq, but I think my money is better spent on mundane things these days, like power.

What version is the ROM on the Compaq?

I just bought one recently only to find that its BIOS predates the 1.44MB floppies.

If yours was newer, perhaps we could work something out?

You can PM me if you like.

Thanks in advance.
__
Trevor

Hello to all interested parties.

Thanks for your posts and many PMs.....I'm extremely busy this week so be patient with me when it comes to replies. To the US collectors, unless you're bound and determined to have the Compaq, it will most likely be way too expensive to ship for you to afford or for me to make any profit on. I can try and get some quotes for you all, but I'm warning you right now that Canada Post is stupid expensive. I will try and get back to all of you soon!

Oh, yeah... Canada Post... Don't even bother giving me an estimate, then. I *KNOW* it's going to be too much, just on the shipping.

Why is it we can order things from Australia or Austria cheaper than Canada? I don't remember it being that way always...
Really mystified on this. Seems like it's as likely to be a political reason as it is to be economic.

I've had to skip many nice vintage deals due to crazy stupid shipping from Canada.
*sigh*
__
Trevor

Oh sure.. take the ONE item that doesn't take a fortune to ship ;-) Glad to see most of them have interest. If you look on feebay and also end up with the Toshiba there are one or two auctions which have a manual/debug manuals/disks for that unit.

Greetings fellow collectors,

At this point in time, the majority of the interest is focused on the Compaq Portable II. Unfortunately, it being by far the largest, heaviest "portable" of the group, shipping to any US state starts at about $65 minimum. If you live in the States and want this that much, PM me offers factoring in the potential shipping costs. For the other units, the shipping costs to the US should be less than half that amount. The Toshiba is pending and the IBM has some serious interest. I almost want to keep them after seeing other's enthusiasm.....these have all been in my possession for a long time now. Hopefully someone will love them for a long time to come!

Back