• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Prime Number Benchmark: 1980 Basic Machines

mmruzek

Experienced Member
Hi, I have been building and testing a homebrew 8 bit machine running at 1 MHZ called LALU (Lookup Arithmetic Logic Unit). One of my goals was to benchmark the machine using a method to calculate prime numbers up to 1000. Sometimes you will see this referred to as the Sieve of Eratosthenes. Researching the topic, I found an interesting article with benchmark results of early machines in the June, 1980 issue of Interface Age. I have attached a screenshot of a page from the article that has the Basic Code and some results for machines of that time period. It makes for some interesting reading, especially the list of vintage hardware they tested!

Here is a link to the issue containing the original article starting on page 130.

Here is a link to a thread on another forum that describes the LALU computer, the language written for the computer (called LANG, similar to Basic) and some results for other hobbyists running the benchmark on their homebrew machines. I think it is interesting that you also see Palo Alto Basic mentioned.

Michael

Attachments

• benchmark.png
    benchmark.png
    699.6 KB · Views: 6
Back