• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage value!

gerrydoire

Veteran Member
I have a Brand New IBM AT 5170.

The box is opened, but the computer has never been opened, turned on, or used.

The box isn't perfect, but completely intact and not water stained or anything.

The Case is 99% perfect, only one small scratch on the entire thing, top of the case
near the back.

It even smells new, like it was just bought yesterday, currently the entire
thing is inside a plastic bag made of mylar.

It has 1 Floppy Drive, 1 HD, 512k memory

OK, what would something like this realistically be worth at the best of times?

Prices tend to be volatile, but I'll give my $0.02...
I would be surprised if it sold for less than $100 or more than $300. My best guess would be $160 given the high shipping costs.

I recall a few years ago an ebay seller had a few 5170's listed, new in box.
I think those were selling for around $100 at the time, cant recall if they were buy-it-now
or auctions.

Do you know which hard drive the system unit has ? If it has the CMI drive that could
add to the value.

I thought regular 5170s had been going for the $100-150 range recently? Not sure what a boxed one would fetch though since I haven't been tracking them much. I'm thinking you were hoping a $600ish range?

It also depends on whether the machine is in working condition. And whether other accessories like manuals, diskettes and such are in pristine / working condition. :)

I'll bite, but really, never turned on? I could see it bring a crazy price. It's condition, condition, condition. The junk sells for $150. Good stuff is rare. List it on fleabay with a high reserve to find out. Be careful someone might just pay that crazy price.

What HD is with it and does it work?

My two are priceless to me...

framer

I'll bite, but really, never turned on? I could see it bring a crazy price. It's condition, condition, condition. The junk sells for $150. Good stuff is rare. List it on fleabay with a high reserve to find out. Be careful someone might just pay that crazy price.

What HD is with it and does it work?

My two are priceless to me...

framer

The computer has never been turned on, so no idea if it works.

I would worry about a HD that has sticky heads from never being used. Somebody on Ebay buying it thinking it is new and having booting issues is sure to file a claim.

Where has it been hiding? Did you just pull this from a 25+ year gig in a time capsule? And how do you know that it has never been turned on? It didn't just materialize so it must have some history behind it.

I would worry about a HD that has sticky heads from never being used. Somebody on Ebay buying it thinking it is new and having booting issues is sure to file a claim.

I bought one a few months back for $150 "NIB" SHIPPED. Looked to me it had been taken out at least once but it was still beautiful and at that price I just could not pass it up. Problem is it is too beautiful to use :/. I have a nice, but clearly been used, 5170 that has been my test system and a 5170 that is also like new that I have modified and put in the tower option. I am not sure I want to replace either one with this beauty....

P.S. No its not for sale at this point :).

Where has it been hiding? Did you just pull this from a 25+ year gig in a time capsule? And how do you know that it has never been turned on? It didn't just materialize so it must have some history behind it.

How many companies or schools have bought a pile of computers, some left in storage and forgotten about?

Everybody here is crazy. A brand new 5170 will easily sell for $400 or more. Probably closer to $500.

Everybody here is crazy. A brand new 5170 will easily sell for $400 or more. Probably closer to $500.

Well then, you offer him $500 and see if he takes it. Talk is cheap. Cold hard cash is not.

Now, I am not saying on eBay it won't get crazy and someone may pay $500 (or even more) for a "brand new" 5170. However, you can buy ones for much cheaper. I got mine for $150 as mentioned and I also got my other 5170 (the one with the mods) for $100 shipped (and that one was super clean and well taken cared of). You got to look long and hard and you got to get lucky for a deal.

Or wait for the next major economic downturn in 5 years and get one for $50 and the owner will walk it over to your house.

People always remember the units that went for decent money while others went cheaper when nobody noticed. Still deals are getting harder to find unless they are local and the owner doesn't want to ship (there are a few people paying top dollar in the world and Ebay distorts the perception of value because of this).

Back