• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Virtual file system library for retro filesystems?

hjalfi

Experienced Member
So I've got this FluxEngine tool for reading and writing floppy disk images. Currently it just handles the disk image side of things, and requires the use of external tools to get files in and out of those disk images. I'm thinking of adding support for file access too, so you'd read the contents of a disk and then you'd be able to get at individual files inside the disk.

Such a tool would need to be able to support at the very least: FAT in all its infinite variations, Amiga AFFS, Macintosh HFS and Commodore DOS. Ideally it'd also want a big pile of other formats including classic Unix, Acorn DFS and ADFS, Macintosh MFS, CP/M, etc.

I know that libraries already exist for many of these, but I was wondering if there was some kind of virtual file system library which supports many of these which I could use instead (which would be much less work). The only thing I can find is libguestfs, which does precisely what I want but only supports modern formats like ext2 or btrfs. I suppose I could use it and contribute support upstream but they might be a bit reluctant to accept patches for CP/M filesystem support!

Anyone know of anything?

Aaru does look really useful, but sadly it's all in C# --- which is a perfectly fine language but not one I can use. It might be possible to use it as a reference, though.

Back