• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

W7 Home Premium Performance Assement Feature

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
After completing my new ASUS Sabertooth 990FX mobo build, I ran the Performance Assessment. "Processor", "Memory", "Graphics", and "Gaming graphics" all returned scores of 7.5, 7.5, 7.7, and 7.7 respectively, where 1.0 is a bomb and 7.9 tops. To my complete surprise, "Primary hard drive" showed 5.9. I should note that the primary hard drive is a brand new WD 600 GB Velocoraptor running at 10,000 rpm with a 6 Gb/s on-board SATA port and cable. I know this is one of the fastest drive's out there. I re-ran the complete test while turning the write cache on and off and by selecting "Performance" in >System >Advanced system settings >Advanced>Settings>Adjust for best performance. There was no difference whatsoever in any of the performance factors.

This 5.9 has turned up on any and all all of my HD's, including an Intel X-18 SSD. According to most sites that I've visited, including Tom's Hardware, everyone seems to be in the same boat - 5.9 being tops. So what's the consensus of the opinions, some arcane registry tweak; a Microsoft bug; or just learn to live with it?

I suppose I've got a bone to pick with Microsoft but 'who you gonna tell'? I don't have the time or patience to hang on the phone trying to explain this to someone on another continent. I own four W7 licenses and sort of think I should have a better avenue to report a bug. But, is it a bug? So, I asking some of you performance minded types out there for your thoughts on this. :confused:

The only way you can up that score is by using a stripped array.

Double checking mine, it comes up at 5.7.

windows perf test will pretty much give you a 5.9 on all mechanical spinning SATA disks, I run 2x 10k RPM SATA II disks in a RAID 0 off of an adaptec 5405 controller... I get a 5.9...

You want a higher score? shell out some money for SSD ;) really...

windows perf test will pretty much give you a 5.9 on all mechanical spinning SATA disks, I run 2x 10k RPM SATA II disks in a RAID 0 off of an adaptec 5405 controller... I get a 5.9...

You want a higher score? shell out some money for SSD ;) really...
I did. My SSD tops out at 5.9 just like my SATA's - got to be something else going on. Maybe I'll drop a line to Maximum PC and see what they've got to say.

FWIW I didn't think there was a performance increase with raid 0, thought raid 1 somehow did though but I guess maybe 0 could do something odd where it's writing to one drive and reading off the other. I guess if someone had some spare drives and a system to play with they could test things out in a few configurations (though I would think google would have an already done test somewhere (tomshardware?)).

FWIW I didn't think there was a performance increase with raid 0, thought raid 1 somehow did though but I guess maybe 0 could do something odd where it's writing to one drive and reading off the other. I guess if someone had some spare drives and a system to play with they could test things out in a few configurations (though I would think google would have an already done test somewhere (tomshardware?)).
I wish I knew what the Microsoft criteria is for that test sequence. I think I'm going to jump on one of the other boards and see what the overclocker geeks have to say.

Windows 7 Performance Assessment Fix Revealed (?)

I think I've found a solution for the bogus numbers in the W7 Performance Assessment. I fixed it on my machine the old fashioned way, I cheated. Yes, what I did was use WordPad to load the XLM file located at C:> Windows> Performances> WinSat >DataStore and scroll down to "Formal Assessment (Recent).WinSat.xml. From there I found the segment <WinSPR> and then edited the following:

-<WinSPR><SystemScore>7.7</SystemScore>
<DiskScore>7.9</DiskScore>

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Back