• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WALMOR UPC 2600 EPROM Programmer (Trying to program the old 1702A EPROMs)

tejones777

I'm looking to program the old Intel 1702A EPROMS, very popular in the early 1970's. I've looked at the posts of various home-brew programming options, none seem easy to obtain or easy to use, or are more expensive than I want to invest. Then I realized I've got several old vintage EPROM programmers in my junk piles.

I pulled out an old 1975 Intel UPP (Universal PROM Programmer) in real poor shape, but my research is that without an Intel Intellec computer (which I don't have) these would be a bear to interface and use. Then I opened it, and I have "zero" of the personality cards, just the main 4040 board, so that won't work.

Then I pulled out this WALMOR Data Systems, Inc UPC 2600 programmer, about 1985 vintage, and I figured it might do the 1702A's. But I searched for hours, could find no manual or specifications online. I can find a few advertisements in old magazines of it's predecessor (I think the 1100 maybe) but none of the advertisements listed EPROMs programmed. I had nothing to lose, so plugged it in, and tried to enter device numbers, 2716, 2732, but after about 45 seconds it started to freeze up, likely bad electrolytics, and it'll be a project to get it working right.

Before I try to replace the electrolytic capacitors, has anyone ever heard of these WALMAR UPC 2600's (or the prior model 1100) and know if these can program the Intel 1702A?

I do also have a vintage Pro-Log (I think it's the Pro-Log M980) which uses the Intel 4004, but I haven't plugged that in for 20 years, and wouldn't do that without replacing all capacitors, and separately testing the power supply outputs.) I have been thinking maybe I should refurbish that, and I'm certain that does program the 1702A.

So, in short, anyone know anything about the WALMOR programmers?

20221124_113520.jpg

- tj.

I do also have a vintage Pro-Log (I think it's the Pro-Log M980) which uses the Intel 4004, but I haven't plugged that in for 20 years, and wouldn't do that without replacing all capacitors, and separately testing the power supply outputs.) I have been thinking maybe I should refurbish that, and I'm certain that does program the 1702A.

Bummer, my Pro-Log M900 is a no-go. I only have the personality plugin for a 2704 or 2708 EPROM. My chances of finding the right personality plugin is about zero. I thought it could do a 1702A because the UV eraser was full of 1702A's stored inside. I really wish there was an affordable and easy way to program the 1702A's.

Anyone have any solutions to the 1702A programming? There's a guy on eBay who you can ship EPROMS to, and he'll program them, but that's contrary to my philosophy of quick turn around debugging/building. Some of the kit/PC board solutions require a whole lot of buying from various sources, assembly, and software mess.

- tj.

I can't find anything other than a mention of Walmor Data Systems being a defunct small 2-person operation in Illinois.

My guess is that 1985 may be a bit late for a 1702A programmer, given the strange power requirements of the 1702A (40v Vpp if memory serves).

I wonder if Walmor didn't re-badge an import model, such as Sunshine.

There is a design for a low cost 1702A programmer here: http://www.tronola.com/html/1702a_prom_programmer.html. The slight problem is that it requires a TTL parallel port of some description to drive it.

You could also checkout an old (manual programming) design in: http://www.tronola.com/1702pgmr_pe_78.pdf. This design also detailed a parallel interface that could replace the manual switches if desired. Obviously, some of the components are obsolete now - but it could be slightly redesigned to utilise more modern parts (although this would turn into something like the first link I posted).

Dave

The 4004 manual has the circuit for a 1702A ( also 1702 non-A ) EPROM. This is a little more complicated than needed, as it includes a power supply for the programming voltage.
It could be run from an Arduino to replace much of the circuitry. I have one of these boards and the SIM4-01 to drive it but I have a failure in on to the latches used and haven't replaced it yet, so can't read or write EPROMs with it right now( on my list to fix ).
Anyway, the Arduino can supply the circuits for the timing and a supply can be added for the high voltage other rail voltages.
The manual is at:
http://www.bitsavers.org/components/intel/MCS4/MCS-4_UsersManual_Feb73.pdf
Device specification and programming information can be found at:
on pages 3-7 to 3-13.
Do note, the 1702A is a MOS device and uses 14V for normal use. To interface with TTL levels, the +14V line should be connected to +5V line. The negative rail is the 0 minus 9 V ( 5V + 9V = 14V ).
This is a MOS device so consider this when designing the I/O circuit.
Dwight

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm bummed my Pro-Log M900 doesn't have any good personality modules. And a bit bummed my Intel UPP is also missing it's personality modules. And bummed my WALMAR programmer is dead, and lacking any documentation (but someday I'll still probably fix it.)

I contacted Martin Eberhard about his super-cool-super high-tech 1702A programmer, and he still is offering a partial kit with the PC board and the programmed microchip, but after glancing over the 100+ page assembly and use manual, and looking at some of the difficulty sourcing all those chips, and realizing it's more complex than any surface mount kit I've ever done, I'm a bit afraid this could be a heck of a project. Hey, believe it or not, this is the same Martin Eberhard that co-founded Tesla, but then had a falling out with Elon Musk. What an interesting guy!

But I did find an answer. An extremely simple bare-bones programmer, using a little cheap arduino, and an almost trivial circuit. I could put together one of these for about $25 in parts, on a breadboard, and while it's super low tech, it's all I need. I'm trying to get ahold of this "Zack Nelson" but can't seem to find an email address for him. He's not a vintage computer guy, but seems to be working on old synthesizers

The site is here... no PCB artwork, but simple schematic, and simple arduino program, I think I'm going to do this.

Only problem with this, is that the super-simple programmer can only program an EPROM, it can't read and verify it. Could modify it for that.
But thanks for all the input.

- Thomas.

Back