• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Want to add an RTC to my Kaypro 10 (Universal MB/TurboRom)

jjandersoj

Experienced Member
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to find an RTC add on for my Kaypro 10.

Alas, my Universal Mainboard is not populated with the RTC Circuit.

I don't want to "hack up" my MB for this. I recall some piggy back options did exist "back in the day".

I also recall (35 year old memories) that there was an RTC that would hide underneath the EPROM.

I guess I'm looking for a piggy back solution of some sort, then the whole software thing comes to the table.

I'd be interested in any dialogue anyone would have.

John-A

I did find the Dallas Semiconductor DS1216 I was recalling....

Any additional alternatives/commentary would be great.

If you have the Universal mainboard, it must be plug-in ready for the Z80PIO and MM58167 in order to add the RTC? Is the MM58167 no longer available?

If the MM58167 is not available, and you can't scavenge up a used one, you will have software issues with anything else. You could add any modern RTC, even by cobbling up an extension board for the harddisk interface (it is actually a general purpose I/O expander port). But none of the existing software will work for it.

Last edited:
Beware, the DS1315 is neither plug-compatible nor software compatible with the MM58167. I do see evidence that the DIP-24 versions of the MM58167 are still being sold, although Mouser says they are non-stocked.

If I was going to go to the trouble of fitting a non drop-in RTC, I'd use one

of the Maxim DS 3232 (I2C) or 3234 (SPI) chips.

Chronometer-grade timekeeping right out of the box, for less than $10.

Hi Guys,. I saw some mentions of a Kaypro RTC add on kit way back when.

Is it as simple as adding the PIO the Mm RTC and a 3v battery pack?

JA

At first I was thinking it was trivial, but I guess one issue is whether the PIO and RTC locations have sockets installed already. If not, you will need to clear the holes of solder and then solder on the sockets. I don't know whether any of the discrete components are also missing. You may need to solder in the crystal, caps, resistors, and diodes. I had a Kaypro 2X that I added the RTC onto, but that was 30 years ago and I don't recall what was required. I don't recall having to add caps, resistors, and diodes, but might have had to add the crystal (I vaguely recall trashing a cheap digital watch for the crystal). I was tearing into the mainboard anyway to add 256K RAM, so may not have thought much about adding some components.

A photo of the mainboard would help.

Hi Guys,

I had a chance to "Pop the Top" this weekend. Alas... un-socketed and no support circuitry populated... Way to extensive a job. I tend to avoid, hacking up my Kaypro, solder gun stuff etc.

I found a DS1216 on ebay...

I'm sure I would be looking for "Hen's Teeth" for a Z-Time board or the like.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

JA

I understand not wanting to risk damage to the mainboard, especially for an antique.

I'm curious, what do you plan to do with the RTC? How do you plan to use the TOD?

Greeting Durgadas, I just now recognized you as the author of "ViritualKaypro". An awesomely great job!

I don't have a specific intent, but Time and Date is my general intention.

I played with a DS1216 on my Ampro Little Board Series 100 back in the day.

I used it for the PBBS 5.0 logging and date requirements.

John-A

Ah, yes, I can see for a BBS - and similar apps - how you'd want TOD. And CP/M need know nothing about it. Keep me updated on how you end up implementing it, I could add it to the virtual Kaypro (but probably not until winter...)

Yeah, I have, and have used the DS1216E module in Apple II series and IBM type machines and, if you get the right software for the machine, they work just fine.

Just put it in the socket between a ROM and the socket and off you go. There may be specific sockets in specific machines that they have to go in, but, I don't recall right at the moment.

Back