• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Want to know how to put a 5.25 Floppy drive in my IBM PC Series 350 P75?

thegenerallee86

Experienced Member
I would like to put a 5.25 Floppy disk drive in my IBM PC Series 350-P75 75Mhz Pentium 128MB Ram, 530MB Original HDD and 10GB 2nd HDD I added, IBM G50 Monitor, Diamond Multimedia Sound Card. So I can play old 5.25 Floppy disk games for Windows / DOS.

How is the second HDD installed? Looking at the PS2 manual for the 350, the 5.25" drive installs in the second 5.25" drive bay. The BIOS should support the drive. You may need to get a different floppy cable; I am not sure if the supplied cable is long enough to connect to both floppy drives.

If the external 5.25" bays are filled, an external drive mounting is needed. The backpack parallel port drives would be the easiest option but hard to find now and can't be booted from limiting the usefulness with early PC games. It is possible to have an external drive attached to the floppy controller but it could be complicated keeping the data cable from suffering interference and making sure the drive is powered.

How is the second HDD installed? Looking at the PS2 manual for the 350, the 5.25" drive installs in the second 5.25" drive bay. The BIOS should support the drive. You may need to get a different floppy cable; I am not sure if the supplied cable is long enough to connect to both floppy drives.

If the external 5.25" bays are filled, an external drive mounting is needed. The backpack parallel port drives would be the easiest option but hard to find now and can't be booted from limiting the usefulness with early PC games. It is possible to have an external drive attached to the floppy controller but it could be complicated keeping the data cable from suffering interference and making sure the drive is powered.

I know that it does have the bottom 5.25 Bay free cause I change the cd rom drive from the bottom to the top because I couldn't open it with a Keyboard on the desk so I had to put in the top bay. I think the floppy drive cable should be long enough cause it has 2 more connectors on it and it is wrapped up inside the case cause only one floppy the 3.5 is connected to it.

Some related IBM FRUs from the PC 3xx/7xx Series HMM (37L5312R.PDF):

Diskette Drive Cable 06H6344
Diskette Drive Cable (6577, 6587) 06H6325
5.25-Inch 1.2 MB Diskette Drive 82G1824
5.25-Inch Diskette Drive Bracket
(6587, 6589, 6887) 06H940

I am unsure whether or not there are IBM vs Industry Standard interface issues, but I suspect not by the PC Series Models/Types.

Just curious if this machine already has an OS already installed on it? If not (and you intend to drop Win3.x or MSDOS on it) then you'll have more memory than MSDOS 6.x or below can natively (without some "trickeration") utilize and too large a (2nd) hard drive as well:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/159631-...s-limitations/

Last edited:
Just curious if this machine already has an OS already installed on it? If not (and you intend to drop Win3.x or MSDOS on it) then you'll have more memory than MSDOS 6.x or below can natively (without some "trickeration") utilize and too large a (2nd) hard drive as well:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/159631-...s-limitations/

Yes it does and it is Windows 3.1 and OS/2 v3. PC-DOS 6.3 on it.

So have you made any modifications to get it to recognize the RAM & 2nd HDD (at full capacity)?

The bios recognizes the full ram and the 2nd drive but I had to make the 2nd drive an Extended DOS drive and partition it as 2GB Partition and then formatted it with Fdisk though Windows will only recognize 64MB of ram.

Back