• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Want to play with 3d

directive0

Hey there,

I've never owned an Amiga, but I've always been interested in CG so the Amiga has ALWAYS been on my radar. I've been getting into oldschool 3d stuff lately, and I've been dying to see what early versions of Turbo Silver and 3ds max were like.

With that in mind I'm wondering what kind of Amiga I should keep my eyes out for. Any advice?

Did they do 3dmax for Amiga? The first version I knew of were for dos (x86). As far as an Amiga goes it depends what you're really trying to accomplish. Are you just playing around for fun for rendering (no time constraint) or actually trying to get things done in a more professional manner? Any Amiga (2000-4000) would be fine for just playing around probably. If you aren't really doing 3d stuff and just enjoy quick art/animation you might try Deluxe Paint on Amiga. It was really quick and easy to do simple frame based drawing (think simple paint program plus pages) but could also do some fun little tricks like automatically doing the animation to flip an image around. When I was young I enjoyed doing a red fire like radiance animation with my name filling up the screen and having that flip diagonally across the screen. Looked pretty cool back in the day but was super simple.

Lightwave was the one that got into real animation for both Amiga and PC. I remember my friend spent thousands on a home built animation system. Insane specs back in the day but he actually bought a dual processor system (I think two 1Ghz celerons or something) and I can't remember the amount of RAM. This was maybe 1998 or 1999 I think. He was letting his project render which takes forever. He was so (good humorly) pissed when he saw an Amiga 3000 render something in half or a quarter of the time his system took. He made it sound like it was the same animation but it could have just been in general but was pretty funny to hear him yelling about it.

If you were to do real animation stuff and outside of playing around you might look at a 4000 with some sort of processor accelerator though.

Hey thanks for your reply.

My area of interest extends to raster, but is mostly in vector art and 3D. On the 3D side of things my interest is in hobby modeling and ray tracing. I am not looking for anything pro scale, just want to play around and make some neat scenes for my own amusement and education. Part of my job requirement is using modern 3d production software, but I enjoy seeing how these programs evolved.

I am basically looking for an Amiga that is A) of a relatively small footprint physically, will use a VGA monitor, and B) has enough power to open and run all Amiga 3d software. There is no requirement for it to run these programs in any speedy capacity, I am not afraid of leaving things overnight or over the weekend to render. :)

Back