• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Want to use an IBM PC/XT/AT keyboard with a USB computer

jmccord

Does anyone know if there is an adapter that will accomplish this? I think they were the best keyboards ever made!
thanks - jim

That's a very pertinent question for me as well. I will ONLY use the IBM PS/2 style keyboard (the IBM Model M clicky type) and have one for each of my machines, even my work machine, plus a few spares in case one of these tanks ever fails.

I have adaptors to step the AT (large D) style connector down to the PS/2 size (small D) and I've got adaptors to plug PS/2 style mice into a USB port but I've never tried it with a keyboard.

Maybe it's time to do that. . .

I'm pretty sure that you'd have to use an AT or later keyboard since the original PC keyboards used a different interface. I don't think a PC would recognixe an AT keyboard and I don't think an AT can use a PC one.

Again, I haven't checked those and unfortunately the bulk of my collection is in storage for the time being.

Erik

USB adapter for ps2 keyboard (AT style)

USB adapter for ps2 keyboard (AT style)

I think you might be refering to a "legacy free" system, like gateway and dell and many others are shipping. These computers have no ps2 ports, so mouse and keyboards must be USB. I have used an adapter at the shop to convert usb to ps2 and then an AT to ps2 adapter so I could use my favorite old keyboard whilst repairing the newer style units. A link to the USB converters can be found here:
http://www.usbstuff.com/ps2.html
This along with the AT to ps2 converter worked for me on a gateway with usb only, but YMMV

You have to make sure it is an active protocol convertor, not just a simple plug convertor.

Closed source? You might as well pay $5 for a Chinese PCPlay converter that does both keyboard and mouse.

But yeah, I think this sets the benchmark for necro-posts.

Oops! I saw the three at the end of the year and thought it was 23 not 03. Didn't really mean to necropost! Still the Soarer's converter is pretty cool. I have one in my 5155 keyboard that I hook up to a Pentium motherboard that's stuck in my second 5155 portable computer. Of course it's not really a 5155 anymore,
just the case and the keyboard. In fact even the built-in monitor has been replaced with a color super VGA LCD.

Last edited:
Closed source? You might as well pay $5 for a Chinese PCPlay converter that does both keyboard and mouse.

But yeah, I think this sets the benchmark for necro-posts.

I use tmk-keyboard. Open source. Runs on Arduino Leonardo / Teensy / Clones.

Back