• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: 1.2MB half-height floppy drive, 34-pin

Gib

Experienced Member
I'm looking for one with a beige/putty (never figured out what to call that color) faceplate.

This would allow me to have a look at the contents of several boxes of floppies from my earlier (80's and 90's) lives and perhaps copy some of the programs and data onto 1.44MB floppies for use via 2MX on my "portable" 5155.

[Edit: I know it's hard to find such a drive with a 34-pin connector rather than the original flat edge variety. The flat would be fine if you have a cable with both flat and pin connectors. I have one for my 5155, but haven't found one for my contemporary i3, in which the 1.2MB will be installed.]

[Edit2: Apparently, there's no such thing as a 1.2 drive with a 34-pin connector, except as part of a combo, so I'll be happy just to find a 1.2 with a flat edge connector and then track down a cable that can handle both flat and pin connectors.]

Last edited:
You may have better luck with one of the "combo" 3½"-5¼" drives, most of which have the header.

Otherwise, why not simply crimp an edge connector onto your existing cable?

I know it's hard to find such a drive with a 34-pin connector rather than the original flat edge variety. The flat would be fine if you have a cable with both flat and pin connectors. I have one for my 5155, but haven't found one for my contemporary i3, in which the 1.2MB will be installed.]
I have a few ribbon cables with both types of connectors, if you're interested.

Yeah, the 1.2mb part of my combo stopped working, so that's why I need a 1.2mb. Since the combo has a 34-pin connector, I thought I could just get a 1.2 with such a connector and be back in business, but apparently there is no such thing. So now I'm looking for a 1.2 with an edge connector, and I'll either find the right cable or crimp an edge connector as you suggest.

Actually, the NEC FD-1158C floppy drive is a 1.2M drive with a 1.44M cable connector and power connector. I have one on my site.

I also have a selection of other/beige/white/cream colour 1.2M drives and a number of edge-card to 34 pin pin header adapters and 5 headed floppy cables.

Dru, I've seen plenty of header-to-card-edge (i.e. to put a 3½" drive on a cable made for 5¼" drives), but I don't think I've ever seen one that went the other way (i.e. female card edge to male pin header). Do you really have such a beast?

DRUID6900, that looks like a 1/3 height drive. Is there some sort of faceplate or adapter available to fill the remaining space in a 1/2 drive opening?

Dru, I've seen plenty of header-to-card-edge (i.e. to put a 3½" drive on a cable made for 5¼" drives), but I don't think I've ever seen one that went the other way (i.e. female card edge to male pin header). Do you really have such a beast?

Yup, several of them, as a matter of fact, some even have an AT/XT jumper on them.

DRUID6900, that looks like a 1/3 height drive. Is there some sort of faceplate or adapter available to fill the remaining space in a 1/2 drive opening?

Well, I wasn't really suggesting that you buy that particular unit, I was merely pointing out tthat there is, at least, one 1.2 MB 5.25" drive that did have the pin header and even the 3.5" power connector that the typical 3.5" drives had. What's cool is it has the push-button eject as well.

I may have a adapter plate for it, somewhere in my face-plate boxes, but, I've never really looked.

It would be more economical to get a standard 1.2MB drive and the 5 head floppy cable.

DRUID6900, thanks for identifying a 1.2MB with 34 pins. I think you're right about the 1.2MB with the standard connector and a cable that works with both pin and flat edge headers being the best bet for me. I've already ordered such a cable, so now I just have to find a reasonably priced 1.2MB drive.

Thanks everyone... I'm buying a couple of drives (a combo and a 1.2mb) from one member and I ordered the necessary cable (mixed pin and edge connectors) from an online vendor.

I was on a roll and started ordering stuff. I'll wait longer next time.

Back