• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: 360K 5.25" Floppy Drive

Vercus

Experienced Member
Hello all,
I bought a Kaypro 2 yesterday at VCF and would like to get it going, which requires writing some disks for it.

I was wondering if anyone had a working 360K floppy drive I could buy, and insert in my PC to write some floppies for it?

Also, I'm assuming I'll need to buy special low density floppies, or can I just use a head demagnetizer to wipe out existing 1.2MB ones and write them in the 360K drive?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys may have.
By the way, VCF Saturday was great! Unfortunately I couldn't make it today, but hope you guys had a great time.

Thanks!
Jon

Last edited:
Hello all,
I bought a Kaypro 2 yesterday at VCF and would like to get it going, which requires writing some disks for it.

I was wondering if anyone had a working 360K floppy drive I could buy, and insert in my PC to write some floppies for it?

Also, I'm assuming I'll need to buy special low density floppies, or can I just use a head demagnetizer to wipe out existing 1.2MB ones and write them in the 360K drive?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys may have.
By the way, VCF Saturday was great! Unfortunately I couldn't make it today, but hope you guys had a great time.

Thanks!
Jon

I happen to have a brand new Mitsubishi 360 drive. If you want please make an offer.

Dougtronics

I will look and see what I have. I know there are two brand new boxes of 5.25" disks, don't know the specifics on them, I'll report back tomorrow.

muzik060

muzik060

I have several 360K Floppy Disk Drives and Single Density 360K Floppy's as well. Let me know what color you are looking for. I have black, white, ivory, tan and some yellowish colored ones. Also, you should specify if the drive needs to be 1/2 height or full height. The really old ones are full height. Let me know what you want.

God Bless,

Gregory

Hey Gregory,
The color really doesn't matter to me, as it's just going into a beatup white box Pentium II that's hideous anyway. It just has to be half-height and connect to a standard ATX power supply. I suppose if it was black that would make it more useful for future vintage computer projects? Basically as long as it's half-height and works, it's fine with me.

Do you happen to have a cable to connect the drive? I've looked all over my place, and I don't seem to have any, just the newer cables for connecting 3.5" drives.

How much would you want for a drive, cable, and maybe a dozen or so disks? I live in Stroudsburg, PA, 18360 if that helps for figuring shipping.

Let me know,
Thanks!
Jon

360K 5.25" Floppy Drive

360K 5.25" Floppy Drive

Vercus,

The 360k floppy disk drive (ref attached photos) I have is a "Fujitsu Limited #M2551A", S/N: 61059065.

As for cables, I have many cables (ref attached photo) to choose from. Just tell me what length you are looking for.

If I include a box of (10 pc's) 5.25" Disks that are brand new, never opened
Double Sided, Double Density Floppies (ref atteached Photos) then I'll let it go for $25.00 plus the shipping and handling costs.

I have (4) more boxes @ $5.00 each plus shipping and handling costs if you are interested.

I guess the next step is for me to ask you how you want to handle payment
and shipping.

All of the items together weigh about 5lbs.

The FDD's physical dimensions are: 8-5/8" lg x 5-7/8" wide x 1-5/8" ht.
The box of FD's dimensions are: 6" lg x 6" wide x 1-5/8" ht.

I have a cardboard box that all will fit into that measures: 12" lg x 6" wide x
5" ht.

My address is: Gregory Muzik, 84 Raider Heights, Kiel, WI 53042.

I do have a PayPal account and my account address is: muzik060@charter.net.

If you are looking for additional items I have for sale, what do you want and/or need and I'll see if I have it.

God Bless,

Gregory

Attachments

• Floppy Disks 360K 5_25 inch DSDD Babbages 001.jpg
    Floppy Disks 360K 5_25 inch DSDD Babbages 001.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Floppy Disks 360K 5_25 inch DSDD Babbages 002.jpg
    Floppy Disks 360K 5_25 inch DSDD Babbages 002.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Rear View 001.jpg
    Rear View 001.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Front View 001.jpg
    Front View 001.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1
  • 5_25 inch Floppy Disk Drive Cable(s).jpg
    5_25 inch Floppy Disk Drive Cable(s).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hey Gregory,
Thanks for the drive info and pics. I'm assuming the drive works fine?
I'm picking up some Northstars from a fellow in Mass on Sunday, and it sounds like he has some drives for me, but I don't know if they're 360k or 1.2MB. If they're not what I need, then I'd like to buy your drive. I definetely would like to buy some disks and cables though.
If it's ok, I'll let you know on Sunday when I get back and I'll give you all my info. Do you take paypal, or would you prefer I mail a money order?
Thanks,
Jon

Just let me know what you need. I'm sure I'll have it...what ever it is you want.

Hello all,

Thanks!
Jon

Hi
You'll need 360K floppy disk. High density disk are just too different.
As for a drive, why not borrow one of the drives from the KayPro.
They usually have two and only need one to boot and verify disk.
For disks, watch ebay, every now and then someone sells a box of
100+ 360K disks.
Many are unmarked but almost all 360K disk have the protector ring
at the center.
Dwight

Muzik060,

Just in case your tracking this thread - it hasn't been so long since you posted. When I looked at the back of the floppy drive in your reference picture - it had a card edge connection. What type of cable goes onto that - and do you have anything that will leap over to IDE?

I have been trying to find out what type of cable supports that card edge type connector. Thanks.

I have been trying to find out what type of cable supports that card edge type connector. Thanks.

A 34-position card edge connector is standard for 5.25" drives. As a matter of fact, the standard 5150/5160 cable is three card edge connectors (no pin header connectors).

Around the late 80's, many manufacturers supplied floppy cables with both header and edge connectors for the floppies.

If you can't find a cable, you can crimp an IDC 34-position card edge connector onto an existing floppy cable yourself fairly easily.

Hi
I have a hand crimping tool but I found that
it is easier to just use one of the hand screw
woodworking clamps. It does 50 pin with
ease and can be used for many other purposes
as well. You do have to be careful to not over
clamp but it isn't too difficult. Getting the
ribbon aligned is hard with either method.
Dwight

Using a carpenter's try-square or combination square and a pair of slip-joint (channelock) pliers to lightly get the connector positioned correctly and "tacked" into place before putting the assembly in a crimp tool can help a lot, particularly with wider cables.

In a pinch, a drill-press vise makes an adequate tool for the final seating of the connector. You really don't want to use something that has non-parallel jaws.

I'll send anyone the appropriate cable to have both 3.5 and 5.25" drives on the same cable for $2 plus shipping, which should be ultra cheap.

PM if interested. I have about 5 extras.

muzik060

muzik060

Paypal is alright for payment. Did you still need the cables? They come in many different configurations (meaning one 360 drive, two 360 drives, one 360 and one 1.2, etc.) and lengths. Let me know your needs. My Paypal address is: muzik060@charter.net and mailing address is: 84 Raider Heights, Kiel, WI 53042, phone is: (920) 894-4215. Drop me an email at: muzik060@charter.net identifying all the items you want so I can get the stuff together for you.

Is there anything else you need? I have a lot of older AT, XT & PC stuff like power supplies, CD-ROM's, full height 360 floppy drives, full height 5-1/4" hard disk drives, MOtherBOards, I/O cards, etc. Just send me a list and I'll see if I have it. We can surely work out some form of arrangement like cash, barter or trade, whatever. I'm open minded about that.

Back