• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: AT Case, Socket 3 Heatsink/fan

RadRacer203

Veteran Member
Just got a bunch of good parts and I want to build a 486 machine. I have everything but an AT case and a heatsink and fan for the CPU (133 mhz AMD, fan and heatsink required). Looking for a beige case, either a short tower or a long thin one that can go underneath a monitor. Must be in decent shape w/ no rust or broken plastic, and preferably with a turbo button.

I kind of wonder where all the people who buy bare AT format motherboards on ebay are going to get AT cases these days, there are not that many around that are empty. The only time I find some cases that are AT compatible is when I stumble across them blindly looking for something else (and not labeled as such).

When you filter on US only and pricing < $100 and spend some time scrolling through the vintage computers a few days there are plenty of (midi / mini) tower and desktop cases (often with MOBOs, RAM, VGA, I/O and drives) pretty cheap.

I sold a generic Pentium desktop with AT CPU for $75 + FedEx on eBay this week. Not unique at all.

That's what I would do, buy a complete AT system and gut then rebuild it.

For a while there you could find early ATX cases with the AT backplate and internal mounting (you had to snap it off to install an ATX backplate) then you still needed an AT power supply or ATX to AT conversion. Most people still want a vintage looking case.

Just wondering how all this affects barebone 286-486 motherboard sales.

No idea. From my perception (not empirically validated) supply and demand is very erratic this year with regards to supply and demand. From my eBay trawling OEMs especially are a really hard sell even at reasonable prices: many machines keep reappearing for many months. There is also a lot more OEM inventory being listed lately I notice. VCFED / AmiBay / DOSForum / CPU World traffic / posts appears to be down and Reddit and Facebook are not where I see high traffic you would expect to have migrated there. That may be indicative of a slowdown in the “fad” for many. Might be that the 1980s/1990s nostalgia crowd is over it’s peak.

Back