• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Compupro CP/M-80 v2.2R or 2.2S Master Distribution Disk

I would like to find an original disk, but an image would help me make progress with the S-100 system I'm building until I find that scarce original. I've been told that I want either version 2.2R or 2.2S to properly support the particular board set I'm putting together. The images I've found online are older versions, and I've been told that the 2.2Q image that's out there is a flawed imaged of a flawed release.

I have imaged what I have, hopefully you can make use of these. Some are 19.2 baud, some 9600. I have notes in each IMD with what was printed on the label, "master" if it's an orig disk.. DD drive required, but like Tandy you have the SD track 0. Some of these I never was able to boot on my system, but they imaged perfectly so I probably just needed to put more time into making them work. I did not test these images by making a disk from them and I did not have my CompuPro system up and running, but hopefully you'll be OK.
http://vintagecomputer.net/disk_images/COMPUPRO/

My system:
thm_compupro_CPU-8085-88_d.JPG

http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=265

Thanks for sharing! I don't think I see one of the versions I'm looking for in those images, just based on running 'strings' on the images and fgrepping for '2.2', but they may still be helpful in bringing up my new S-100 system. It's my understanding that I'll be able to run earlier versions, but that I'll need 2.2R or 2.2S to allow running everything in interrupt mode rather than polled mode under CP/M.

As of this afternoon, I have a full set of Compupro cards to build up an interrupt-based Z80 8" floppy disk system, thanks to a couple of VCF members. Yay! The set consists of a CPU-Z, RAM 17, System Support 1, Disk 1, and Interfacer 4. I'm not positive yet, but it has been suggested that my 7-slot backplane may have been made by Integrand Research. I think it'll make a nice system.

sorry, fixed. IIRC it was disk 2 of the MPM set, so I renamed it as such.

Please anyone who builds these let me know of they work for you. There were no errors when making the images, but not all of these boot on my particular system, the last time, years ago, when I tried it. There are z80, 8085 and 8086 OS disks here, so I assume some of these will work, but I doubt all will work for everyone unless you have for example the 8085/8086 cpu. If not, try the CPM 80.

Early Compupro CPM-80 Master Disks were on SSSD (single-sided single density) 8" floppies. The Boot Tracks on the early versions (up to 2.2N) of CPM-80 were recorded SSSD, and the console ports set at 9600. Step rate and Head Settle times were set for single-sided drives (which have lower/slower performance speeds). Later CPM-80 Master Disks were recorded with the Boot Tracks set for 1024 bytes sectors, even if the rest of the disk was formatted 128, 256, 512, or 1024 byte sections.

The later CPM Master Disks (Versions Q, R, S) were recorded on SSDD (single-sided, double-density) 8" floppies. Boot Tracks are recorded with 1024 byte sections, regardless of how the rest of the disk is formatted, because with time, the Boot or Boot Loader had grown larger than could be fit on single-density Boot Tracks. Console was set for 19.2K baud rate. These Operating Systems assume that you are using DS 8" drives with the faster/higher step rate, and do not work with single-side drives that do not meet double-sided performance specs (step rate, head settle rate).

If you have a later version of Compupro CPM-80, and use single-sided drive, the system will work better, if you switch to double-sided drives, OR borrow a double-sided drive, and reassemble the operating system with the drive parameters set for the slower, single-sided drives.

Do not try mixing the files/utilities from early and later versions of Compupro CPM-80. The utilities are not compatible. Different Versions of CPM-80 had BIOS developed by different authors, and they require/expect the User to use different Assemblers (from different Software Publishers) if altering the unassembled/commented source code is being assembled.

If you have the Console port speed set wrong, when you try to boot the system, you may not get anything on the terminal console. The Compupro System is going to look for Console 0, before it completes booting up. If the Computer is looking for a Console at 9600, and your terminal is set for 19.2K, you may not see anything. If the Computer is looking for a Console at 19.2K, and your teminal is set for 9600, you might see garbage on the terminal.

Last edited:
Back