• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

The South Wanted MS DOS boot disk 720k

Covers: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and West Viriginia.

abruno17

Experienced Member
would it be possible for someone to make me a 720k ms dos disc so I can use on my Toshiba T1100 plus. It’s a 8088 based machine so I think dos 3.2 or so would do unless you would happen to have a copy of the version Toshiba bundled with the computer. Please pm if you can help me.

Do you have any computers with a 3.5" floppy drive? If so, there are images online of the original T1100 Plus DOS 3.2 floppy, and you could probably make your own. There are even some USB floppy drives that can work with 720K floppies. You might future-proof your floppy needs by investing in such a drive, if you don't already have a drive you can use. Since the T1100 Plus doesn't have a hard drive, you'll probably want to make your own floppies for other things like games, other software, etc to run on it.

I'd love to have some 720k dos 6.22 install floppies as well. I've looked everywhere, but can't find any. the only thing i found that may have worked was a dead link. Some say it's possible to make them yourself, but I'm not sure how.

I'd love to have some 720k dos 6.22 install floppies as well. I've looked everywhere, but can't find any. the only thing i found that may have worked was a dead link. Some say it's possible to make them yourself, but I'm not sure how.
An example is the 'Creating a 720K Boot Diskette Using Your Modern Computer' section at [here]. In that, the image files that you would use would be of the 720K sized DOS 6.22 installation diskettes.

An example is the 'Creating a 720K Boot Diskette Using Your Modern Computer' section at [here]. In that, the image files that you would use would be of the 720K sized DOS 6.22 installation diskettes.
Awesome! Thanks, you're been very helpful to me throughout multiple threads. Although I see a download for version 3, I'm having trouble seeing where version 6.22 images are on that page.Am I missing something?

Awesome! Thanks, you're been very helpful to me throughout multiple threads. Although I see a download for version 3, I'm having trouble seeing where version 6.22 images are on that page.Am I missing something?
I was pointing you to a method. I would be surprised if there are not image files for 6.22 somewhere online.

There are certainly images of MS-DOS 6.22 in the usual places for 360K, 1.2MB, and 1.44MB. I’m not aware of any for the 720K version yet, but I did recently see them for sale on eBay for WAY too much money.

I think someone also mentioned making some based on a directory listing from technet or something like that.

Gotcha, thanks.

I was pointing you to a method. I would be surprised if there are not image files for 6.22 somewhere online.
believe me, I was surprised too.

The Toshiba T1100 plus 720K disk is on winworldPC. I'd be glad to make it for you if you can't make it yourself with a USB floppy drive.

Can't you simply tape over one of the windows on the diskette to "make" it a 720kb disk, format it as such, and image it?

I would suggest REAL 720kb diskettes... The 1.44(HD) format will not be completely erased, instead only the 720kb(DD) format will be recorded over the 1.44(HD) format causing an unusable disk in some situations, In the best case, it will work as a temp solution, but I would not trust it long term.

To really do it right you need to demagnetize the disk first before formatting to DD.

I've heard of folks getting 720k disks up to 1.44 w/o many problems (but occasional failures due to grain size of the particles on the disk), but I wouldn't think going the other way would be a problem.

I guess if 720k disks are still available, by all means, I just know magnetic media is getting harder to find.

Back