• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: original Apple ][ floppy drive 1 & 2 and a Tandy 720k 3.5

DarthKur

Experienced Member
I have recently rescued a Tandy 1000 TL. Everything seems to work well on it except the 720k 3.5 floppy drive. I will neither read nor format any disk put into it. It was quite dirty inside the drive. I tried to clean it to the best of my limited ability but still can not get it to work.

EDIT:
I removed the Apple ][ drives request on account that I just won a pair of them on ebay.

Last edited:
Is the 1000 tl the one with the 26 pin floppy drive, or is it the 34 pin drive, but with no power connector. If the latter, a regular 34 pin 1.44 meg drive will work. Just make sure to disconnect the lines with the power from the floppy end. Yes, the 1.44 drive will work in place of the 720, and at 720k.

I hope this makes sense, but yes it does work.

Check the ribbon cable for holes between the first drive connector and the second one. If present, just about any 3.5" drive will work, if you supply power to it using a splitter from the other floppy drive's power connector. If no holes, then you may be in trouble -- don't connect that cable to a non-Tandy drive, you'll fry it! You'll have to follow kb2syd's suggestion and disconnect the power lines, if you can find the pinout for the connector. Unfortunately, Tandy seems to be of no help in that respect:

http://support.radioshack.com/produ...sp?sku_id=25-1601&Name=Tandy Desktops&Reuse=N

--T

Back