• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Paper-tape punch/reader (RS-232)

commodorejohn

Veteran Member
I don't know that I'm any likelier to find one here than I am by just watching the recycle center (there certainly seem to be few enough of them elsewhere online,) but I might as well put out a feeler. Just for kicks, I think it'd be fun to get ahold of a paper-tape punch/reader to pair with my PDP-11. I'd like something that, ideally, does 8-bit values, comes in a form factor that can fit in a desktop arrangement (i.e. something smaller than an ASR-33,) and runs off an RS-232 connection.

Since this isn't for serious work, nor as part of an immaculate collection I maintain out of pure obsession, I'm not looking to pay collector's-item prices. I don't know that I'm likely to actually find one, but still, never hurts to ask ;)

Hi, I have a few redundant Trend RS232 paper tape reader punches, 5 and 8 channel. The problem is they are in the UK, weight about 15 kg, 35lb, so not cheap to ship.

These were used on the UK military Clansman radio system. I bought a pallet full and did a basic test, would they copy a tape from reader to punch. These ones failed, I had forgotten I still had them. The working ones have all been sold.

A possible solution is to just send the self contained reader and punch subassemblies and PCB, weight around 2 kg.

Any interest?

Bob

Tentatively interested, yeah - any idea what's wrong with them and how simple it might be to fix? Also, when you suggest just sending the guts, is most of the weight in the case then?

Repairable? Can't think why not.

They are a very simple design, TTL logic, 6402 UART, no processor etc so easily fixed but I have yet to find a service manual. They are also good quality units, I can remember one spending most the day punching part program tapes for CNC machine tools.

What is really nice is that the reader and punch are both self contained modules. Would not be hard to program a PIC to act as controller. The only problem is that the reader uses an L shaped piece of steel to guide the tape, and they are missing.

They are all sheet steel, linear power supplies, lots of screening, it all adds to the weight.

I will check exactly what I have tomorrow. All I can see at the moment is one reader at the back of the shed, I am assuming it is standing on 3 or 4 more. Will also try to get some photos.

They are free, I don't want them scrapped, just postage cost. So, first come first served but at the moment just one each.

Bob

Right, seem to have six with one more incomplete.

Weight of the complete unit is 12kg so international postage would be serious, well over 100GBP to the USA. The reader and punch subassemblies weigh 2020g, annoyingly just over the 2kg post office limit. If sent in two parcels to get over this problem then would cost about 40GBP to USA.

Should be three photos, the punch, the reader and the whole unit. Note that the top unit has the bent metal guide to the reader, on the one underneath it is missing. The reader doesn't use the sprocket holes to guide it, it just pulls the tape through using the sprocket hole as a sampling point. Therefore without the guide the tape doesn't go through cleanly. All it is is a piece of steel bent through 90 degrees. The screw fixing on the front allows the guide to be pulled out, for 8 channels, and pushed in, for 5 channels, simple as that.

Bob

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010001_2.jpg
    P1010001_2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1
Dave, they will do both 5 and 8 channel tape.

I don't want to keep any, but see what interest there is before I commit to two to one person.

I live near Grantham, Lincs. Collection is always welcome, saves a lot of work on the packing. Delivery in the UK would be about £16, seems to cost more now for packing than the delivery, I use the Yodel 2 day service.

Bob

Bob,

Well I should be last seeing as I got in there last, but the practicalities of shipping stateside are horrendous. I am happy to wait and see how things turn out

Dave.

40 GBP? Oof. That's gonna have to wait a week for the next paycheck, but it's still a far better deal than any other units I can find via Google. (Out of curiosity, it's more expensive if you ship it over the postal limit than if you ship two separate packages?)

Would it be possible to get a close-up of the guide element (maybe removed from the unit) so I can get an idea of what to have made?

One gone to Andy.

Checked the parcel companies for delivery to the USA, best deal seems to be 3 day FedEx at 35GBP for 3kg. Or about 85GBP for the whole 12kg unit.

Bob

Weight of the complete unit is 12kg so international postage would be serious, well over 100GBP to the USA. The reader and punch subassemblies weigh 2020g, annoyingly just over the 2kg post office limit. If sent in two parcels to get over this problem then would cost about 40GBP to USA.

Would shipping to Norway be the same as USA, or cheaper?

Shipping to Norway would be about 35GBP for the whole unit, but 33GBP for just the reader and punch subassemblies, must be on a parcel size limit here.

Dave, not certain of the demand so limiting each person to just one unit, but you are more than welcome to collect, Andy survived it today.

Four photos attached. First two show the tape guide for the reader, second two show the tape guide mounted on the reader, one for 5 unit, telex, tape and the other for 8 unit tape.

The guide is 35mm wide, 25mm from inside of bend to bottom, 16mm from inside of bend to point where the paper tape rubs, thickness 2mm.

Bob

P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPGP1010003.JPGP1010004.JPG

John, didn't answer your question about shipping and weights.

There seems to be an international agreement to allow packages up tot 2kg and below a certain value to be imported with customs. Over that limit and customs will be interested, and someone has to pay for them. Usually some saving can be made on the postage cost, worth having if the item can be subdivided. Using a parcel company like FedEx doesn't give a saving, everything they do comes through customs, just whether customs can be bothered to add the duty but because these are free there shouldn't be any duty.

Bob

John, didn't answer your question about shipping and weights.

There seems to be an international agreement to allow packages up tot 2kg and below a certain value to be imported with customs. Over that limit and customs will be interested, and someone has to pay for them. Usually some saving can be made on the postage cost, worth having if the item can be subdivided. Using a parcel company like FedEx doesn't give a saving, everything they do comes through customs, just whether customs can be bothered to add the duty but because these are free there shouldn't be any duty.

Bob

Hi, Bob. I just noticed the thread (because I was searching for punches!!) I'm in Oregon, USA; understand that it is not easy to consider shipping anything like this to the USA (I think you mentioned they are x-military, which by itself may complicate all of this); understand that the actual cost would not be cheap even if only paying for your costs; and understand that these units specifically do NOT work for copying from reader to punch. But I'm still interested in discussing any remainders you may still have. (I also have friends in the UK who might be able to visit and pick up the units... but I suspect they would all be even more at a loss about how to ship here and I've never asked them to do something like this.)

I'm mostly looking for a good punch head. And more specifically, my hope is that the punch dies are in good shape. I can repair, design, and replace electronics and do all necessary new programming -- I'm an embedded engineer. But although I have some modest experience with mechanicals, I'm not equipped to completely create the punch head and punch dies. So I'd be looking for that, in particular, to be good -- assuming you'd even consider the idea of sending something this way, of course.

Thanks for any reply and for even keeping those items in storage!! And best wishes, regardless.

Jon

Last edited:
Back