• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WANTED: Software for Unimation Puma 560 robot.

From what I can tell from the information that I have found, everything looks to be correct. There has to be one of the controller boards bad. I don't know which one to try? Any thoughts?

I do have stockpile of parts and 2 complete 550 and 560 Pumas with 3 controllers ready for sale. You can contact me thru e-mail.

Steve

Been busy the last couple of days.. Blew a fuse on my power board and had to hunt it down.
Seems the brake coil on the wrist joint (#4 motor) dropped from 60 Ohms down to 4 Ohms.

This usually happens on coils that are wound too tightly or with thin enamel on them when they over heat. The enamel softens and eventually the wires in the coil begin shorting between layers.
as the wires short and the coil resistance drops, the coil heats even more and the process accelerates. Eventually the coil melts down or a fuse blows.

I have entirely disassembled the motor for the joint and removed the coil. I plan on wrapping a new coil and rebuilding the motor this month. Why? Just to say I did.

I have taken many photos and I hope to post them on the board very soon.

-Mike

Last edited:
ElectroDude,
I am going to try attaching a jpg to this msg. The right of the diagram shows the LSI-11 CPU above the memory, then the Serial cards for VDT, TEACH, FLOPPY etc.. After that are the Parallel IO cards.
From my adventure this week, I leaned that the IO cards also send some signals back to the power boards (The next row of cards over) through the back plane. Finally the Digital Servo and Arm signal cards. these are Input cards from the Encoders and POT outputs.

If the CPU, CMOS and Serial cards work, then you should at least get the NO-VAL error on your teach pendant , or a LOAD VAL prompt on the VDT. Before VAL is loaded, the other cards are not even talked to by the computer.

You might also want to look at the second diagram. it is of the same stuff, just at a conceptual level.

TroubleShooting.jpg

TroubleSHooting2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. The information verifies that one of the cpu's boards are bad. Now I have to figure out how to determine which one and find a replacement or get it repaired. Any ideas?

I pulled all the cards out of my system except the CPU card
The 3 memory cards and a single serial I/O Card.

With just 5 cards in place the system still booted up and asked
If I wanted to load VAL from the floppy.

I pulled the memory cards and the system powered up without any
Messages at all.

I am packing for a biz trip tonight, Next weekend I will try a few more
Tests to see if I can get the system to boot in a minimal state
(1 CPU, 1 MEMORY, 1 SERIAL card)

It seems that some RAM is needed for the CPU to do anything so I am guessing
That at least one RAM card will be needed.

When you say CPU CARDS, do you mean the computer cards including
The serial card, RAM and the actual CPU card?

There should only be 1 CPU card.. IT will have a HUGE chip on it
That should look like it has two smaller chips mounted on it’s back.

The memory cards all look like you would expect.. Rows of memory chips.

I have some pictures I will try to upload after 14 hours of meetings Tuesday night.
The hotel room web connection could limit my upload speed but I’ll do what I can.

I think there may be a way to get the CPU into a DEBUG mode with just the three cards installed and NO VAL.

-Mike

Electrodude,
Do you have an Osc. Scope? I can trace out a few key signals on some of the bus lines and let you know what they should look lilke.
No good if you don't have a scope to see them though.

-Mike

I have published the datasheet for the JAWS-11 chipset on theatronics.com

Look at your processor board. I hope it is labeled M8192.
It should have a large white (60 pin) chip on it that looks like it has two smaller chips mounted to it.
On the back of the processor board along one edge should be the label: KDJ11-A PROCESSOR

This is the main processor board I have and that I will be sampling signals from.
I will post my findings tonight or tomorrow evening.

The datasheet is very helpful in identifying the pinouts for the main chip.

update

update

I bought another M7270 board and it does the same thing. I'm suppose to receive another quad serial board next thursday and will give you another update then.

Update

Update

Replaced the quad serial board with a "Tested" good board and still the same. I give up!!

gatech senior design

gatech senior design

I'm surprised to see there is an active forum for a PUMA robotic arm, but pretty cool nonetheless.

I'm a student a georgia tech, and for our senior design project we are interfacing a modern PAC (an Allen Bradley ControlLogix) with an PUMA 500 6 axis arm. Finding documents on the PUMA has been a bit tough. Does anyone have the pin outs or a spec sheet for the umbilical connector they care to share or point me at?

Thanks,
Nick

Nothing useful but I thought I recognized that robot somewhere. So be honest.. what are ya gonna throw? ;-) Maybe if you can track those guys down they'll have some info?

Hey Marcus!
Friends, meet my mentor! When I had a giant coat rack , he helped me get it moving .
I ahve been trying to help others as best I can. It has been very stressful at the day job
so getting home at a deicent hour and having any time to do some research has been hard.

Interesting note: I had a Eletromagnetic brake on Joint 5 go out. I completely disassembled the motor,
Removed the burned up winding (Dropped from 60 Ohms down to 4.) it was quite cripsy.
Then I made up a teflon bobbin and wound my own replacement. I took plenty of pics and I hope to
add it to the website. (http theatronics com)

I am already shopping around for more parts. I'd like to have at least 2 functional arms and some spare parts.
(maybe even a 260 to complete the collection... <grin>) My workshop isn't big enough for the 720 but some day.......

Hi Puma freaks!

I used to work with the Puma 56x, 76x and 861 (Kawasaki arm with VAL-II controller). Sadly I have neither software nor hardware to offer, but maybe I can help with my memory / experience.

Does anybody sell a 56x in parts or in decent condition?

@Theatronics: Is it possible to get access to your documents on your website?

Last edited:
Back