• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Tandy 1000 Monitor

There's a ?M-3 locally I've been meaning to pick up to round out my 1000HX. It's a much smaller monitor than the CM-5. At first I thought it was a monochrome monitor (which would imply VM-3), but the CRT has an aperture grille which leads me to believe it's a color monitor instead. Anyone know what the specs of this one are?

There is indeed a VM-3 monitor; it appears to be an older version of the VM-5. See here:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_accessories/2511.htm

Google turned up nothing, even with leet syntax searches.. I did find references to a CM-4 model though.

The CM-4 is just an older version of the CM-5 (would have been contemporary to the original T1000).

Yes but he says the VM-3 is a monochrome, while this one has things that hinted at color.

Maybe the version I linked to doesn't have the Tandy sound...

The "abandonware" versions I've seen are all incomplete. The Tandy sound can be fixed though, since it's just the driver, TD.DRV, that is missing. Copy the attached driver to the game directory (and rename), and start Castlevania with the "TDY" parameter (case-sensitive).

Attachments

• TD.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 1
Hey Cloudschatze that text file I renamed to TD.DRV and I still get the error about csongs.psn. I typed at the command line: castle TDY as you directed and no luck. :(

Last edited:
Bit of an old thread, but I'd just like to chime in with this: running it with the provided TD.DRV does succeed in getting 3-voice Tandy sound working, but the graphics don't work, at least not on my 1000TX. It just sits there at the DOS text screen, so it's not even touching video memory; presumably it's doing its work in other pages and then failing to switch them in. Is there some kind of general Tandy graphics driver it may be missing?

For the records, and reference of anyone who might also show up, I sold the machine in question in the OP to phreakindee - you can see it in his reviews on Youtube now. :)

I never did find a monitor for it, Tandy *OR* CGA.

If anybody gets the Tandy sound working on Castlevania let me know, I'd like to know how still.. (with graphics, that is, Tandy, VGA, or otherwise)

Someone over on the DOSBox forums says that there's separate executables for CGA, EGA, and Tandy - my copy only comes with the one. Grarghle, now I've got to try and track down an original copy...

I've been running Castlevania with Tandy sound and EGA graphics on an RLX system. I'm not sure that a different executable is necessary for Tandy graphics - I'll have to test around a bit...

I must have been thinking of Altered Beast, because it does look like Castlevania has the video driver embedded in the executable (and I'm not savvy enough to do anything about it). It sounds like that "ripsaw8080" guy on Vogons probably has an original copy. He might be willing to provide you with the Tandy executable, if asked via private message.

Back