• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

California Wanted: TEC FB-501 or TEC FB-503 floppy drive

Covers: California

NoPizzaTonite

Experienced Member
I have an MSD SD-1 with an empty drive bay
TEC FB-501 would be the replacement (180k) but I believe a TB-503 (360k) might still be an alternative even though it's DSDD

Good Luck finding a TEC FB-50x Replacement. They are hard to locate, but
the Tandon TM-100 Series are easier to find.

If you do locate a TEC, I've got some information about the drive that may be helpful.

Larry

As far as I am aware, the Tokyo Electric FB-500 series were all half-height, so a Tandon TM-100 FH won't fit. However, a Teac FD-54A (single-sided) or a FD-55BR (double-sided)would be a close match, with the drive bail lever on the correct side.

Good Luck finding a TEC FB-50x Replacement. They are hard to locate, but
the Tandon TM-100 Series are easier to find.

If you do locate a TEC, I've got some information about the drive that may be helpful.

Larry
Thanks Larry - I'll take a look at the Tandon :)
I have the service manual for the TEC 50x drives - I've repaired quite a few - in fact here's the last one I did :)

As far as I am aware, the Tokyo Electric FB-500 series were all half-height, so a Tandon TM-100 FH won't fit. However, a Teac FD-54A (single-sided) or a FD-55BR (double-sided)would be a close match, with the drive bail lever on the correct side.
Oooo .. .thanks Chuck I'll take a looksie - you are always so helpful! Who needs Google when we have Chuck(G)! lol ;)

Oooo .. .thanks Chuck I'll take a looksie - you are always so helpful! Who needs Google when we have Chuck(G)! lol ;)
My dumb luck - I had an XT clone sitting around with two floppies and a hard drive.
Turns out the floppies were FB-503 - put one in the MSD SD-1 and presto. Now have another working SD-1

These were alternatives to the original FB-501 I thought might work
TEC FB-503 (DSDD)
Epson SD-521
Panasonic JU-455-5
Teac FD-55B-01-U
Note TEC FB-501 can be found found in Tandy 501 drive cases and some Kaypro II systems

Hi all,

A bit late for this post (don't know if of value right now), but my Bondwell 14 has two FB-503. Just mentioning.... look for Bondwells too

Did you ever find a FB-501 disk drive? I ask cause I bought one not knowing it wouldn't read msdos disks so now I have no use for it.
Thank you - yes I did find a few FB-501s that helped me even convert an SD-1 to an SD-2! :)
If you have that FB-501 just laying around though, I may be interested in taking it off your hands - shoot me a price in PM
I'm located in Oregon 97527 if you want to calculate shipping :)

If anyone is in need of a FB-501 disk drive let me know, I have a working one I bought not knowing it wouldn't read msdos disks so now I have no use for it.

Thank you - yes I did find a few FB-501s that helped me even convert an SD-1 to an SD-2! :)
If you have that FB-501 just laying around though, I may be interested in taking it off your hands - shoot me a price in PM
I'm located in Oregon 97527 if you want to calculate shipping :)
I am a new user to this forum and cannot send direct messages yet. I paid $75 plus shipping. if I can get $70 and I will cover the shipping, I just want to get this to someone that can use it and recover some of my cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Back