• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

wanted v20 cpu

I have one here that's been waiting a long time for another member to send me a mailing address.

It's untested, but hey, it's free and it's sitting in an anti-static tube inside a bubble mailer.

PM me an address and I'll ship it to you instead.

If that didn't work for you I found one while searching for 68xx parts for another member. Its a good pull.

Z80

Z80

I think you're thinking of a different one. Hitachi used to make a replacement/more features one, but I'm drawing a blank as to the part number.
patscc

I just found the Z80382, which looks really interesting, here:

http://www.z80.info/z80382bd.htm

I was thinking of making this work inside a Genesis, and drop pcmcia into it since the capability is there for it. I dunno, maybe I'm over tired. Seems really workable to me right now.

And I think I remember the v20 replaces the 8088. I think.

Something came up today. Can the V20 replace a Z80?? Or is that a different processor that I'm thinking of?

The V20/V30 has an 8080 emulation mode, but not the Z80 instruction set.

By "replace", exactly what do you mean? AFAIK, the Z80 is the only chip that's pin-compatible with the Z80. As far as the instruction set, there are a bunch of other candidates, such as the Z180/280/380/EZ80, NSC800, and even the "Z80-ish" Rabbit R3000, not to mention various implementations in FPGA.

I believe some of the Amstrad / Schneider XT class desktops used the v20 and v30 processors. I have a PC 1512 that is complete but won't read from the 5 1/4 floppy. It has the V30 processor installed.

The guy with the V30 page has a strange idea of the availability of 8080 software out there. CP/M-80 and a ton of application software and languages, such as WordStar, SuperCalc, Multiplan, Microsoft FORTRAN and BASIC, DRI's PL/I, CBASIC,....

I think it would be fair to say that there's more software that will run on the 8080 than there is software that's Z80-specific.

There are many chips that include the Z80 instruction set, for example the ATJ2085 or KL5C80A12.

Back