• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED: WD MFM controller

aarc

We still have a couple of mini's using Western Digital WD1002-05
HD/tape drive controllers, which are now hard to find. Any for sale?

OR, if anyone knows a facility that repairs these, that would also be appreciated.

Mario

Well, the Tandy Primary external hard drives used the WD1002-05 controller and I happen to have one. I suppose I could just turn it into a secondary for the Model 16HD.

You are right about them being hard to find. Took me about 6 months and cost me a small fortune for this one.

Of course, it's sacrilege, but a Kaypro 10 has a WD1002-HD0, which is basically a WD1002-05 minus the floppy portion, if you don't need the floppy.

Just make sure the carcass goes somewhere nice ;)

T

That's correct. We did get one of the -HDO and it works fine since we
don't use floppies. None of those around, either.

Apparently, the VCO is weak on the 1002's and eventually either drifts
or fails. We had one repaired, but that vendor no longer has the parts
to repair them. I'm sure there's another repair house that does, but I have
no idea who or where.

Of course, it's sacrilege, but a Kaypro 10 has a WD1002-HD0, which is basically a WD1002-05 minus the floppy portion, if you don't need the floppy.

Just make sure the carcass goes somewhere nice ;)

T

Yes, in the Tandy hard drives, we used to have to align the VCO every 6 months or so on most customer's units. Don't recall ever having to replace one though.

I take it yours has failed. If you get me the part numbers off the part and I have them in my stock of chips, I'll repair your board.

Really appreciate the offer. Here's what we have in the dead bin:

WD1002-05 with assy 089000094-00 no Rev or S/n showing

WD1002-05 with assy 61-031094-00 Rev R, S/n 371896

RMT 1002-05E assy 61-31094-00 no Rev or S/n showing

The first and second are totally dead, the third sees the HD but
has intermittent tape drive action(at least when it came out of
service).

The VCO's on these may be only out of spec and not failed but
we have no way to troubleshoot them. If you think you might be able
to repair these, advise and I'll send one out for you to look at and
evaluate.

Again, thanks for the offer.

Mario

Yes, in the Tandy hard drives, we used to have to align the VCO every 6 months or so on most customer's units. Don't recall ever having to replace one though.

I take it yours has failed. If you get me the part numbers off the part and I have them in my stock of chips, I'll repair your board.

Back