• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

(WANTED!) Windows 95 non Upgrade CD-ROM High Res Box Shots [hard to find?]

Banned
I'm really sorry for posting this request, but non-Upgrade copies of Windows 95 are really hard to find.There was a CD-ROM Full Edition? I'm not sure...
Why I need box shots from a still shrinkwrapped copy? Very well, because never opened things rock for me.

-Javier Donoso

There's no need to be sorry for posting a request, just no need to be pushy about replying.

As for the pictures, I have a Windows 95 Box, but it's already been opened.

Did anybody actually buy the full version? If I remember correctly, all that you needed to install Win95 on a new PC was the Win95 upgrade disk and the first disk from a Win3.1 set. :)

If you were an MSDN subscriber, you got the full version by default--no upgrade version. But you just got it on a CD, not with the fancy packaging.

If you were an MSDN subscriber, you got the full version by default--no upgrade version. But you just got it on a CD, not with the fancy packaging.
That's exactly how I got Windows ME. What other OSs and Utilities did MS put on those CDs? Are there any places to buy/download the full set of CDs.

Most people who bought it retail would have probably bought the upgrade since it was quite a bit cheaper. I have several OEM copies of 95a, b and OSR2 (with USB support) and these are full versions.

I think what the OP is looking for is the full retail version since the OEM, MSDN and NFR copies never came with pretty boxes (and all used different key sets IIRC).

That's exactly how I got Windows ME. What other OSs and Utilities did MS put on those CDs? Are there any places to buy/download the full set of CDs.

Pretty much everything, starting with DOS 6.0, IIRC. DOS, Win9x (including service upgrades), NT 3.1, 3.51, 4.0 (in different platform versions), 2K, XP (also in server versions). All in just about every language that MS supports. Beta versions and release candiates out the wazoo.

Buy a complete set? Maybe if you shell out for an MSDN subscription, but maybe not, since MS doesn't appear to keep old OSes around. At any rate, it'd run you a substantial pile of lucre, I'll wager. At first, MSDN looked like MS was probably breaking even on the deal, then the subscription rates got considerably more expensive. I think it's a profit center for them now.

MSDN OSes either had their own keys or the keys were preset in the product itself.

I dropped out of the program sometime after XP, but before Vista since it was cheaper to just buy the OS I needed and I didn't need the bucketload of CDs and DVDs that I'd never use.

MSDN served a purpose when communications were slow, since the bandwidth of a bunch of CDs arriving by UPS was probably greater than anything you could get from your local internet provider. But no more.

I purchased the 95 upgrade the month it was released, few people purchased the full retail. I do think I have the retail CD but no box for it. 95% of Win95 CDs floating around these days are OEM or upgrades. Don't forget quite a bit of Win95 was released as floppies too.

I think I have Windows 95 on floppies. Not sure if its the full version or the upgrade though. It is quite a few disks.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158238

Release Version File dates
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 95 retail, OEM 4.00.950 7/11/95
Windows 95 retail SP1 4.00.950A 7/11/95-12/31/95
OEM Service Release 2 4.00.1111* (4.00.950B) 8/24/96
OEM Service Release 2.1 4.03.1212-1214* (4.00.950B) 8/24/96-8/27/97
OEM Service Release 2.5 4.03.1214* (4.00.950C) 8/24/96-11/18/97
Windows 98 retail, OEM 4.10.1998 5/11/98
Windows 98, Security CD 4.10.1998A
Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222A 4/23/99
Windows 98 SE Security CD 4.10.2222B
Windows Me 4.90.3000 6/08/00
Windows Me Security CD 4.90.3000A

What is a "Security CD"?

The Security CD was the closest thing to a service pack that Win98, SE, and ME got from MS. It was released in 2004 and included a number of fixes that otherwise were available from Windows Update. It is not a complete OS installation system.

Back