• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Warehouse incoming - daily updates

Commodore 128's go for $20-30 on Ebay right now. Typically bare with no power supplies or anything. 64C's are a bit less. I've been outbid on some of both lately.

Commodore drives, (particularly the IEEE 488 ) drives have value also.

Last edited:
Speaking of drives, there was a TOTALLY trashed VIC 1540 floppy drive on the same pallet as the weird Xerox thingie. It was missing the top of the case, the power supply was dented, no cable, etc. but I thought it was pretty cool anyways.

The 64C was quickly relieved of its box and software and the parts disseminated to various boxes, and at the time I didn't think it was any niftier than a regular 64 (we get those ALL the time) - the 128 was missing some keys and may have had water damage.

There was also a *giant* external rackmount Bernoulli cartridge reader with a bunch of Iomega cartridges as well - it had BNC video out on the back which I thought was odd.

Hm, doesn't VIC-1540 have built-in power supply? It may be semi-rare even in a broken condition, depending on how much is required to restore it.

I don't think C64s of any variant (with exception of the keyboard-less 64GS and prototypes) are of high demand - there is still a lot for sale and donated here and there. C128 maybe a little more rare. Any C16 or Plus/4 computers that boot up may be worth selling away, since the TED graphics chip and/or 7501 CPU are prone to breaking down with no spare source.

dreddnott said:
<snip>
There was also a *giant* external rackmount Bernoulli cartridge reader with a bunch of Iomega cartridges as well - it had BNC video out on the back which I thought was odd.

Back in the '80s, some companies were using cheap videotape cartridges for backup purposes. I've even seen external hard drive enclosures with video outputs, so they could be jacked-in to any ol' VCR., at considerably less cost than the 'computer' tape backup systems at the time.

--T

carlsson said:
I don't think C64s of any variant (with exception of the keyboard-less 64GS and prototypes) are of high demand - there is still a lot for sale and donated here and there. C128 maybe a little more rare. Any C16 or Plus/4 computers that boot up may be worth selling away, since the TED graphics chip and/or 7501 CPU are prone to breaking down with no spare source.

64Cs are a bit less common on this side of the pond than they are over there. That being said, they aren't exactly hen's teeth. Still, I don't have one :(

It seems to me that Commodore kept selling the old breadbox 64s for a long time here. I only saw a few 64Cs around the time that the 128 came out.

Yes, the power supply was built into the drive - since the top of the plastic case was missing, it was easy to see that the shielding had been dented in and the drive destroyed.

THIS JUST IN: Data General DG/500 system - I can't really find anything out about it on the Internet. It doesn't really look like a PC clone, it's very sturdily built, and has some sort of tape/cartridge drive in addition to a 5.25" floppy. Is there another name for it, is it just junk or what?

Also got an IBM 6580 Displaywriter T - no monitor or keyboard, just the base unit unfortunately. Has a lot of dirt on it, the case isn't on 100% straight, etc. Worth keeping around?

EDIT: Okay, it looks like the DG/500 was made in 1988 and runs on RDOS. Not sure how it connects to a monitor or TV...also, what's going on with the IBM PC/XT model numbering? I have two IBMs with the XT label on the front down on the floor (with a BUNCH of early '80s IBM clones, some real old ones!), but on the back, one of them says Model 5150 and the other says Model 5160.

Last edited:
dreddnott said:
THIS JUST IN: Data General DG/500 system - I can't really find anything out about it on the Internet. It doesn't really look like a PC clone, it's very sturdily built, and has some sort of tape/cartridge drive in addition to a 5.25" floppy. Is there another name for it, is it just junk or what?

Also got an IBM 6580 Displaywriter T - no monitor or keyboard, just the base unit unfortunately. Has a lot of dirt on it, the case isn't on 100% straight, etc. Worth keeping around?

EDIT: Okay, it looks like the DG/500 was made in 1988 and runs on RDOS. Not sure how it connects to a monitor or TV...also, what's going on with the IBM PC/XT model numbering? I have two IBMs with the XT label on the front down on the floor (with a BUNCH of early '80s IBM clones, some real old ones!), but on the back, one of them says Model 5150 and the other says Model 5160.

DataGeneral? Try here, lots of DG collectors, etc:

http://www.cyber1.org/

DisplayWriter? Junk it.

IBM? The first model was the IBM-PC, with 5 expansion slots and a cassette interface, model 5150. Next was the PC/XT, with 8 slots, and no cassette port, model 5160. The case covers are interchangeable, so one of yours probly has the 'wrong' cover, if the badging on the front is the same.

--T

Last edited:
The 5150 "XT" I saw had a cassette port but it wasn't actually labeled as such, unlike the true-blue (hehe), authentic 5150's I've seen in the past.

Probably erroneous, and I don't really care about it when I have two 5150s upstairs at the moment. Got to check the new one to see if has a 64KB board!

The very first PC (5150) had a 16 - 64K mainboard. Later versions had 64 - 256K boards, and were marked with a 'B' on the back of the case. The case covers on the earlier (non-B) ones have 3 case screws instead of five, so ya prolly don't even have to open 'er up to see which board it has.

--T

Hey, that one IBM PC with the XT case cover turned out to have a 16-64KB board (fully populated)! It turns out that those very early ones don't label the cassette and keyboard ports like the later PCs did...it also doesn't have that painted "(B)" on the back, or the two extra case screws.

After trouble with the peculiar video card, I put in a B&W one, and it booted up. It's running Microsoft BASIC 1.00!

It also has the 8087 FPU, a couple of memory expansions, and a parallel card.

The power supply looks different, but it's an IBM part number.

I can swap over an authentic IBM PC case, if anybody wants to buy it...or should I just add it to my home collection?

The 16 - 64K board alone is worth at least $100.00, mebbe more, depending on the ROM version. I have an authentic 3-screw case, if ya want it, postage only. You have to decide for yourself whether to sell it or collect it.

--T

dpatten said:
It seems to me that Commodore kept selling the old breadbox 64s for a long time here.
On a related thought, did they ever release the C64G (Aldi) in the US, or was that only a last attempt to make money in German supermarkets? The C64G model was a grey breadbox (!) with the C64GS motherboard, fully populated after the GS had failed, some time in 1991-92 I suppose (I don't bother to look it up exactly).

dreddnott said:
The power supply looks different, but it's an IBM part number.

The PS on the original PCs was painted black. The later ones were left silver.

If you can find the original PC case for it (two screw holes) that would be ideal.

If you don't have one, add it to your collection! :D

Sorry I haven't been in for over a week! It's been crunch time at Shenanigans, the kids' group I volunteer as a musical director for, and we had the first run of "How to Succeed..." last night.

Today I found a LOT of CompuPro 816 systems, as well as M100, M300, and M310 stuff, external 8" and 5.25" floppy enclosures, odd tape drives and a couple of external hard drives that have a platter diameter well over 1 foot. Anybody here interested in jumbo-sized hard drives that still power on? They have see-through protective covers like my Quantum Q2020!

Oops: Also forgot to mention I pulled a VIC-20 (bare CPU/keyboard, no AC or TV adapter or drives) yesterday as well as a TI-99/4A.

Anybody here ever heard of PACKinTELL (exact spelling and capitalization as on case)? I found the name on a standard PC case from the late 1980's, and no Google references except to a laptop or printer manufacturer. I was unable to rescue the case. Also found an IBM PC Server 330 with dual Pentium Pros - not sure which side of the 'vintage' line that system would fall on.

All right, the mystery hard drives were identified as Shugart (before they renamed the company Seagate!) model 4008, probably the 26MB one if memory serves correctly. They power right up, look very, very, very impressive, and should interface with any old S100-based system.

I'd like to rescue as much of this CompuPro stuff as I can - there are over 50 S100 bus addon cards, over a dozen complete systems that are probably 99% working and looking great, etc.

Back