• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Warehouse incoming - daily updates

dreddnott said:
THIS JUST IN: Data General DG/500 system - I can't really find anything out about it on the Internet. It doesn't really look like a PC clone, it's very sturdily built, and has some sort of tape/cartridge drive in addition to a 5.25" floppy. Is there another name for it, is it just junk or what?

Also got an IBM 6580 Displaywriter T - no monitor or keyboard, just the base unit unfortunately. Has a lot of dirt on it, the case isn't on 100% straight, etc. Worth keeping around?

EDIT: Okay, it looks like the DG/500 was made in 1988 and runs on RDOS. Not sure how it connects to a monitor or TV...also, what's going on with the IBM PC/XT model numbering? I have two IBMs with the XT label on the front down on the floor (with a BUNCH of early '80s IBM clones, some real old ones!), but on the back, one of them says Model 5150 and the other says Model 5160.

What are some of the brand names on those early IBM Clones?

I'm back...

I'm back...

So sorry, guys...

Been a little slow anyways, but I should have kept you up to date.

Other people in the company are taking notice of your guys' site so I may have some more support for selling goodies to y'all.

In this post I'll cover all the stuff found since my last post.
I acquired another Commodore SX-64, in MUCH better condition than the other (it actually has the front cover and carrying handle!).

A Roland DXY-1100 plotter(!) in the box, great shape.

THREE Silicon Graphics (SGI) systems, two from Dreamworks and one from the company that helped Dreamworks make that one small soldiers movie.

...take that back, I went downstairs and just happened to find a fourth (an Indy). It might actually be intact...

Got some stuff today (IBM, Sun, and Cisco) that might be of interest to serious collectors. I'll post more details later.

Speaking of IBM, I run into IBM Model M keyboards in good condition every once in a while, and I have a stockpile of keycaps as well. If anybody's interested in the best PS/2 keyboard ever made (thanks to IBM engineering and buckling spring technology), I sell them for much less than www.clickykeyboards.com does...

Okay, been a while, but there hasn't been much antique stuff in (thanks to our contract with Viewsonic).

Recently, however, I ran across a Compaq Plus portable computer. It has a 5.25" floppy, HDD and a few misc. addin cards - it powers right up, the HDD light flashes a few times, but I don't get any picture. The case and keyboard are in good condition.

When I go back to work on Monday I'll confirm whether the CRT is powering up or not.

I think I'll try taking pics of my antique computers today. Some of them are pretty cool.

BTW, that mint-condition Commodore SX-64 is still for sale. $75 + S&H sound good? It includes my homemade "custom" keyboard cable.

I can let the cruddy-but-perfectly-working one go for $40 + S&H. It is missing the handle.
I'll make a "custom" keyboard cable for it as well. There is an 'authentic' SX-64 keyboard cable going on eBay for $20, 6 bids so far...

BTW, that SGI Indy boots right up to graphical username selection, it appears to be an R4600 SC 133MHz with 24-bit XL graphics, a 2GB HDD and 96MB RAM.

I bought the Roland plotter for my mom.

Some more Sun systems today: A SunBlade 100 (500MHz UltraSPARC IIe) and a SPARCstation 4.

BTW, that SGI Indy boots right up to graphical username selection, it appears to be an R4600 SC 133MHz with 24-bit XL graphics, a 2GB HDD and 96MB RAM.

I bought the Roland plotter for my mom.

Some more Sun systems today: A SunBlade 100 (500MHz UltraSPARC IIe) and a SPARCstation 4.

Aw man, you're killing me! I love all things Unix, and would give an arm and a leg for a good SGI box and maybe another Sun box!

The wife wouldn't go for it though, 1,400 square feet of house is just not enough for everything, and I'm not living in the garage! :)

The Indy and SPARCstation 4 are exceptionally small...they just require a 13W3 monitor or adapter.

BTW, I don't think I let everybody know, but I also have a SPARCstation 330. It doesn't show a picture on the monitor for some reason (probably a really bad one).

I haven't tested the SPARCstation 4 yet, but it'll probably work (it has the HDD even).

What company dumps a SunBlade 100 to recycling, unless it is broken? Doesn't Sun have trade-in campaigns any longer, or is it worth so little on the second hand market that a company rather throw it away after a couple of years use? I mean, it is a product made in 2000 or newer, IIRC.

Oh well. The eBay price seems to be around $75-100 unless equipped with lots of memory and other stuff. For most companies who buy new computer equipment every third year, $100 more or less is not worth bothering about. Sun doesn't even bother to sell remanufactured Blade 100:s, it seems.

Usually what happens is a company goes out of business and the assets are improperly liquidated by some moron.

Today I pulled up an old 9" B&W Macintosh, and it looks like a Mac 128K!

I didn't have a working boot disk for it but it seems to be entirely operational.

I did notice '512K' lightly scratched in a tiny font right above the "Macintosh 128K" logo on the back, so it was probably upgraded. Oh well. Having the "128K" in the logo probably means it's a later one anyways.

Also snagged a B&W Radius monitor.

p.s.: congratulations are due for your 2000th post!

The original Mac has just "Macintosh" on the back. The later Mac 128K designation came after they released the higher memory Macs and wanted to distinguish the smaller one.

It probably was upgraded, but it's still a toaster mac so it's fun. :)

Turns out that it's the 13,061st Macintosh 128K, manufactured in Fremont, CA.

I also found an Apple IIc clone today (Laser 128EX). Looks about the same right down to the handle. It was in such terrible condition I passed on it altogether.

Well, not too much to report, mostly just midrange Pentium 4 and stuff like that.

That is, right up until now.

I just happened upon a brand new, mint-condition IBM XT 5160 personal computer system!

Every component is about as clean as 23-year-old components could possibly be,including the glorious original IBM PC/XT keyboard. Never have I typed on one so shiny and crisp in response.

The complete contents of the pallet are as follows:

IBM XT Personal Computer Model 5160 (5 or 6 addin cards, half-height 5.25")
IBM Personal Computer keyboard (no model or S/N)
IBM Personal Computer Color Display Model 5153
IBM Personal Computer Color Printer
Tallgrass Technologies TG-6135 60MB tape/35MB fixed external hard drive (no tape cartridges unfortunately)

There is one catch to this fantastic collection: somebody in the Infrastructure dept. spray-painted "401" in red on the XT, external HD, and 5153 monitor. Only the keyboard and printer escaped the mark.

Of course it's his job to spray-paint things so I'm not too mad.

I'm going to post another thread about getting paint off of vintage PC parts...

It's not every day a factory-condition IBM XT Personal Computer comes in as a customer drop-off...

If I had been down on the floor when the customer dropped it off, I would have been hard-pressed to resist the temptation to tell him not to abandon it here! Of course, I could also have avoided the spray-painting.

It helps that most of the people who don't work upstairs with me don't know anything about computers - if they all knew as much as me, none of the other teams would ever get any work done!

Excellent find!!!

The very latest 1986/1987 XT models had the half-height drive, I found it to be more reliable than the full height ones.

Does it also have a 20MB hard drive and 640kB mainboard?

I didn't have the chance to pop the poor thing open before I left Friday. We'll see about its guts on Monday morning.

I think by far the coolest parts of the find are the keyboard and printer.

Back