• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Warehouse incoming - daily updates

dreddnott

Experienced Member
Hello, I posted in the introductions forum, I'm here to talk about the computer stuff I come across each day here at the warehouse.

First off, though, a list of the stuff I'm hoarding upstairs right now:

Motorola 6800 test kit from 1976 (with the hexadecimal keyboard)
IBM 5150 (I think the floppy drives have been upgraded from the originals)
Macintosh 512Ke (saw a 512K in bad shape)
Apple Lisa mouse (no Lisa)
Quantum Q2020 HDD (8" form factor, HUGE, and a see-through cover!)

I also have some misc. Sun and SGI stuff hoarded away, and a decent collection at home.

This week I've found an AS/400 from 1992, a Sharp PC 7000 and a Commodore SX-64. I didn't rescue them from demanufacturing, though, and I kind of felt bad about it.

Oops!

Oops!

Well, I suppose it was kinda cool...

But think of it this way, I'm almost completely desensitized to nifty computer stuff because I see it EVERY day. I've probably seen a hundred thousand Apple ][e's.

I can *probably* pull the SX-64 and store it somewhere if you guys think it's worth anything serious. We're getting more storage upstairs so I might be able to sneak some stuff by.

I take requests, too, so if you have a system or two you have your heart set on, I will most definitely keep that in mind and keep an eye out as well!

14749 Hesperia Rd, Victorville, California
http://www.truecycle.com

We have a corporate office in Pasadena and another warehouse that's just starting operations in Placerville. They don't really have a hardware guy like me to rescue the proverbial mint Apple Lisa, but they send the best stuff down here.

Well, me and a few other members have been looking for Sun SPARC stuff.
I'm not picky, as long as it works........

(No one starts any arguments this time.)

-V

I have a Sun system from 1991 - I don't recall the model number, but it's the exact one they used to render Toy Story on.

Monitor (13W3), Sun keyboard, Sun mouse, SCSI hard drive, CD-ROM, all seem to work. It didn't show anything on the screen when I tried to boot it without the keyboard attached, and I haven't had time to try booting it WITH the keyboard, but since you're interested I'll definitely give it a shot. I also have a few addon cards (SCSI, video, something else maybe) from the same era that I could throw in.

I think it's a quad processor model.

I have an SGI octane but no drives, it loads up the BIOS. I wonder how on earth you get an OS on the fool thing, the only drive connectors are the SCA ones in the front as far as I can see.

Yeah, I'm definantly intrested. With Sun machines, when theres no monitor is defaults to the serial ports looking for a terminal, since ther wasn't a keyboard It might have been looking for a terminal.....

-V

We also had two Sun Netra T1 rackmount servers, NIB, but those got sold on eBay for about $450 apiece. Kind of cheap considering they each had 2GB RAM.

Are you also interested in components and accessories or just whole systems?

Not software, I'm into hardware :D. And I can get all the software I want form the net somewhere. I have three cd's worth of apps games and networking stuff for the ST and I can't even use it yet. Gotta get an interface for it of some sort or another. I have a few options. Ethernet, cabling it over or telnetting it over, but there are a lot of issues, like nowhere to transfer to or from-- I got no drive to hook up. Argh! Lack of time--!

Oh, sure, $7/hour in an unheated warehouse with constant power failures and ground faults from lousy electricity installed by insane non-electricians, you can have it in a heartbeat.

I'm shooting for music teacher, it's not exactly the stream of free computer parts but it's almost 3x as much for less hours.

dreddnott said:
We also had two Sun Netra T1 rackmount servers, NIB, but those got sold on eBay for about $450 apiece. Kind of cheap considering they each had 2GB RAM.

Are you also interested in components and accessories or just whole systems?

All of the above.

-V

No updates today! Most of the crew was sent home today because of the wind yesterday that blew part of the roof off, and the rain and sleet early this morning that's flooded it! Oh well. Hopefully they'll be able to afford the repairs immediately and I'll be able to go to work tomorrow or Friday!

Sure thing, goofy old keyboards always catch my eye.

For today: Looks like the Commodore SX-64 and Sharp PC 7000 haven't been taken apart yet. No demanufacturing yesterday due to flooding, so that's a good thing I guess. How much would any of you be willing to pay for either?

Back