• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Warehouse incoming - daily updates

dreddnott said:
For today: Looks like the Commodore SX-64 and Sharp PC 7000 haven't been taken apart yet. No demanufacturing yesterday due to flooding, so that's a good thing I guess. How much would any of you be willing to pay for either?

I might be interested in the SX-64. Do you know if it works? What cosmetic condition is it in? Is there anything else with it?

If it's alone, junked and broken then I'm not interested at all. If it's pristine, working and has docs and software I might be able to scrape up $50-$75.

Something in the middle we'd have to discuss. . . ;)

Two of these, new in boxes, sold for $125 at a VCF a few years ago and I'm still kicking myself for not buying one. The one I have works, but is pretty banged up.

Thanks!

dreddnott said:
For today: Looks like the Commodore SX-64 and Sharp PC 7000 haven't been taken apart yet. No demanufacturing yesterday due to flooding,

What is there is "demanufacture" or take apart in a SX-64?

Cheers,

80sFreak

Let's see: plastic housing, CRT, boards, floppy drive, power supply. All of that gets separated by whatever means necessary: electric drills, hammers, screwdrivers, prybars...

The SX-64 powers right up, reads the floppy drive (which has Wheel of Fortune in it) and boots off of the Basic ROM (version 2.0!). The keyboard connector is standard DB25 but I don't have a cable end that fits in the little narrow slot for the connector on the computer itself. Screen looks sharp and flawless.

There was a bottlecap crammed in the cartridge slot topside but it didn't look like it had caused any damage when I removed it. Around here, cables are the first thing cut and thrown in our out-boxes so looking around for the original cable is likely to be an extremely non-productive enterprise. :)

Today I snagged:

The Sharp PC-7000. Not in good shape at all, no keyboard at the moment (uses an RJ11 jack).

An AT power supply in a box. The box is for an SIIG 200-watt PSU, but the box actually has a Chinese 150-watter in it. Probably swapped it out, put the old one in the "new" one's box. I have no way of testing it without setting up an AT-compatible system (I run into lots of these every day of course).

Panasonic Personal Word Processor W1500 - with keyboard and LOTUS 1-2-3! The plastic plate in front of the monitor is a bit scraped and scuffed but I'm sure it could be polished up or replaced. It hasn't been logged in, so I can't spirit it away upstairs to be tested.

Dell PowerEdge 4400 - dual Xeon 667MHz, 2GB PC133 ECC, eight SCA hotswap slots on the backplane, seven PCI slots (2 64-bit 66MHz, 4 64-bit 33MHz, 1 32-bit 33MHz), internal and external U160 SCSI-3 ports, three hotswapping power supplies @ 320W each. No, you can't have this one. I'm going to be wiping hard drives with it (eight at a time!).

Things I've forgotten to mention: I have had a Powerbook 100 (first model) and an early Macintosh Portable up here for a long while. I don't have power supplies for either one, and I know for a fact that a Mac Portable won't even turn on without a good battery. They're in very good cosmetic condition. I still have that Macintosh 512Ke!

BTW: I can't find my Sun workstation at the moment. I have the keyboard and monitor but the case is nowhere to be found...it's pretty cluttered up here so I'm not too worried about it.

I found the Atari drive: it is an SH204 20MB external for an Atari ST. It hooks up to the DMA port (no cable or Atari ST to test it on).

It's about as big as a shoebox for men's size 15, and weighs a few pounds. It looks like it's in great shape but it won't power on because it's missing the fuse (250V, 1.5A slow blow).

How much do you want for items you find?

I could use an Amiga 2000 Keyboard, IBM PS/2 386 or better (just need a dedicated OS/2 machine and figured an IBM PS/2 80 or 95 would be cool).

Fairly low prices, because of the company's basically non-existent overhead. I'm the only tester, I get paid $7/hour, and there's an eBay guy who I think is making $9/hour.

I rarely get Amiga stuff. In fact, I think the only thing I've seen here was this Commodore Amiga 500. I didn't rescue it.

IBM PS/2 systems are very common, of course. I could find and test one for you but as they're quite heavy it would become relatively costly with shipping.

Why don't you try running OS/2 on a virtual machine?

dreddnott said:
Fairly low prices, because of the company's basically non-existent overhead. I'm the only tester, I get paid $7/hour, and there's an eBay guy who I think is making $9/hour.

I rarely get Amiga stuff. In fact, I think the only thing I've seen here was this Commodore Amiga 500. I didn't rescue it.

IBM PS/2 systems are very common, of course. I could find and test one for you but as they're quite heavy it would become relatively costly with shipping.

Why don't you try running OS/2 on a virtual machine?

I guess that depends on what relatively costly is. I like real vintage hardware anyway over virtual machines.

Portable? Even an AS/400 with 26 expansion slots is portable if you happen to keep a forklift in your pocket!

Hee hee hee. I kill myself, no really, take my wife please.

Seriously, P/M me, or send mail to jacobb@truecycle.com - my official work e-mail that supposedly gets monitored. Get specific, like models, manufacturers, dates, or architectures. I'll keep it all in mind.

Found a Commodore 128 and a Commodore 64C (with box and manuals and stuff) but I let them get junked.

Some heartless jerk in Infrastructure cut the keyboard cable on the Panasonic Personal Word Processor, so no joy there...

I found a weird old Xerox computer-type thing with two cassette drives, model 528B with absolutely no information on the internet. Only pictures could describe it properly, I may post them to one of my old webspaces...

I had to help Demanufacturing take apart the large AS/400, the one with 26 expansion slots. I decided to take a souvenir, the CPU card, but once I had taken the armour plating off, I couldn't find any information on the Internet about the actual chips (IBM 9314, which appears to be a generic CPU code, but I also tried the exact serial numbers).

The three large chips had aluminum shells wrapped around them, so I got curious and peeled one off - they look exactly like FC-PGA chips underneath. Kinda cool...

Anybody interested in a toy transformer made by American Flyer back in the early 1930's? It may have been one of the very first and the wires are still in good condition although the case is somewhat dented.

I also just found a late 1950's Zenith Space Command remote - much earlier than the ones that are on eBay right now - it only has three buttons! Volume on/off and Channel switches are all it has, and they sure go click! when you press them.

dreddnott said:
Found a Commodore 128 and a Commodore 64C (with box and manuals and stuff) but I let them get junked.

You are bringing me down man... :(

BTW 9314 probably refers to the manufacturing date. 14th week of 1993.

Both commodores are highly regarded and in-demand. Especially with manuals and whatever else included. There are lots of enthusiasts that would've bought both from you.

PM sent.

Back