• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WD-384R 40MB RLL Drive

I like it. Informative, well-written, and it has pictures which is always nice. You should probably post a compiled version of DiskTest for those of us who don't have a Turbo Pascal 6 environment sitting idle, though.

I actually have a wd93044-x that I pulled from a Tandy TL/2 that looks like that. It is IDE for XT type drive and I am using it in my XT. I went "EM spelunking" as I like to call it with an EM microphone looking for easter eggs. If you put the microphone just off center to the spindle, run microsoft scandisk, record it, use noise reduction it actually sounds like a chickadee. I have the recording to prove it, I just wish I could upload sound files here.

Many thanks for the replies. Yes they certainly have a very unique sound to them!

Good point on the executable - I've added a download link for that :)

Oh dear. One of these.
Red Hill Computers did a review on it and both them and me (who had two of them at one time) can sum it up with the same thing: Rubbish.
Both my drives were plain and simply unusable. One eventually crashed. They were also slow.

If you listen close enough you can almost hear the binary coming off the heads LOL. I still own and use one, almost sounds like a record player when your stereo is off. But rather then music, just weird computer splunks and pings and almost like a faint morse code sound. So hard to explain!

I think I originally saved the drive from a Tandy 1000RL. Sadly its the only piece I managed to save.

I have a number of WD 93xxx series drives that still function perfectly. A couple of WD93020-X units, one in each of the PC20-IIIs I have, a couple of loose WD93044-A units and one in the PC40-III, all for sale on the site.

I find that the old WD MFM units were tough and durable and, after 20 some-odd years, it's a testament to their quality manufacturing.

Back