• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

We need suggestions, from you, on user titles

Understandable, but I suspect it is rather preaching to the choir. I really doubt admins and mods are enjoying this experience much themselves, and would readily have resolved the issues they can.

Yes, you hit it on the head. We are definitely the "choir" here, but are working on the issues as we can, though very slowly. We have access to the admin console, but not the back end server. I am solving what I can.

I vote for "Fix the bugs, then worry about the window dressing later".

Can you please go to the support forum and post all the bugs you want us to fix, apart from the PM system issues rather than posting a generic comment like this here. I get that you are frustrated with the site and probably the mods, but generic references to "the bugs" does not help us at all. We need specific descriptions of the issues, so we can add them to our puch list and work on them.

I didn’t read that comment that way but maybe I misread it. I thought he was just saying this sort of thing is less important overall than things like getting the pm system back to normal. Not sure they’re mutually exclusive but I think that was the point being made.

I'm not frustrated with the mods; I'm frustrated with the board of directors who dumped this botched "upgrade" on all of us, which drove away half of the active users and even some of the mods, left the remaining mods high and dry, and haven't lifted a finger to help fix the mess they created, while they continue to use the 501(c)3 to enjoy their personal hobbies tax-free.

Sorry if I'm grumpy, but this thread just feels like asking what color of drapes to put on the Titanic.

Sorry if I'm grumpy, but this thread just feels like asking what color of drapes to put on the Titanic.

Fair enough, and for my part I am getting a bit frustrated with people referring to generic issues here as "the bugs" or "the problems" with no real info on what they mean. As near as I can tell, from going through the plethora of complaints, the only real issues right now are with the PM system.

That said, I believe the Titanic had frilly drapes with flowers on them.

What about all the problems with thread notifications and all that stuff?

I see something mentioned about that here and there, but nothing concrete, though it is possible that I missed it since there is a metric ton of noise in the threads I am looking at. Can you, or someone else, start a specific thread on those issues in the support section for the forum. As much info on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

I see something mentioned about that here and there, but nothing concrete, though it is possible that I missed it since there is a metric ton of noise in the threads I am looking at. Can you, or someone else, start a specific thread on those issues in the support section for the forum. As much info on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

I haven’t seen the issue myself but sometime this evening I’ll try to find a specific post on it and copy it to a thread (or would you rather I just link it here?)

Ahhh Damnit our Central AC just died... The service guys just closed and were in the middle of a heatwave! Ahh screw it there goes my good mood!!!

It’s always the capacitor. Just like vintage computers and radios. ;)

But seriously it might be. They are dirt cheap so I always keep a spare. If the A/C goes out, just the outside condenser unit, I pop the cover off and look for bulging. If it looks good you can discharge it and test it with a multimeter. Some hvac guys suggest doing it every year, and if it gets out of the printed tolerance replace it even if it’s still working.

It’s always the capacitor. Just like vintage computers and radios. ;)

But seriously it might be. They are dirt cheap so I always keep a spare. If the A/C goes out, just the outside condenser unit, I pop the cover off and look for bulging. If it looks good you can discharge it and test it with a multimeter. Some hvac guys suggest doing it every year, and if it gets out of the printed tolerance replace it even if it’s still working.

According to my wife thw condensor was screeching making a horrible sound and the "cool" icon on my thermostat was blinking. Never seen it do that before. I went outside and thw fan would not spin and a smell was coming from it. So hopefully the bearring/fan burned out but who knows. I dont thi k its the capacitor.

Fan motors are common too. Hopefully they will get you back going quickly tomorrow.

Had a heat pump do that late one night. It started screeching, but was during the winter. I think it froze up somewhere. But if you smell burnt stuff then its likely something else. Hopefully easy to fix. Not fun having no AC when it's hot out.

I'm sorry, but how did this thread get utterly derailed from suggestions about user titles to generic forum issues and AC condensers?

I totally tied it in with vintage computers. ;)

Next time I’ll try harder to tie it in with titles.

Back