• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

We need suggestions, from you, on user titles

Never knew it was even a feature, neither of the other XenForo forums I'm on have it enabled.

In my humble opinion, custom user titles use to be a way to give identity to each forum. As an example, another retro computer in which I participate (called va-de-retro.com) ranks users by participation and titles are given sarcastically as how much "devilish" their users are. I will think on this for some creative way to name them, if you will.

I had the idea last night for these

1kb RAM
2kb RAM
4kb RAM
8kb RAM
512kb RAM
640kb RAM

And stop there (since no one needs more than 640kb).

I think this is a good Idea, it's a good start. In my opinion is fine but maybe still too generic... 🤔

Understandable, but I suspect it is rather preaching to the choir. I really doubt admins and mods are enjoying this experience much themselves, and would readily have resolved the issues they can.

As for the question - I'd be inclined to leave the user titles the same. It isn't as if a large post count is a necessarily reliable guide to great expertise, or a small post count indicates a lack of knowledge. In my case, one day I'll achieve 'senior' status, yet still be as inept as I was when I first joined.

You nailed one of the main problems of the forums systems in what ranking refers. But still there is another way to address this issue. I've carefully read all the posts in this thread and I saw all of the posters trying to give a single solution for a single problem, which is not a bad approach but may be lacking in some aspects.

I think that if some action should be done, maybe it would be a good idea to have two different ranking members, one based in participation and another, independent one based in "helpfulness" which maybe could come from the difference between positive and negative reactions one has received.

And those are my five cents. What do you think about?

Regards

I'm not a fan of "ranking" members, especially based on feedback. It leads to groupthink.

My experience with other fora: ranking taken seriously has more downsides than upsides. If it is just an inside joke, it can be funny, but I wouldn’t make more of it.

It is fine the way it is. Well, not really.

I don't understand the constant drive to compartmentalise people. And many people don't like being labelled. I say, get rid of it completely. This is an old computer forum.

So says the Jr.

It is fine the way it is. Well, not really.

I don't understand the constant drive to compartmentalise people. And many people don't like being labelled. I say, get rid of it completely. This is an old computer forum.

So says the Jr.

Yes, I know where I am. This is an old computer forums, especially the administrative section. They asked suggestions, I gave mine; that's all. I respect everyone else even if we have different opinions; that is the basis of mannerism in forums.
I only gave my opinion about an issue, could you explain how did I anger you? What's wrong?

Back