• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Weird old Apple computer - What is it?

bmathews

Howdy,

I bought an Apple at a school garage sale 10 years ago. I assumed it was a kit built Apple ][. It is built in what looks like a large metal project box, white and blue. There is a 5 1/4" floppy drive on the front. I only have the box, no keyboard or monitor :cry: .

Is this really someone's kit Apple or is it something else?

- Brad

If you can post some pictures that'll help a ton.

It sounds to me like a repackaged Apple ][, though. It's probably from some secure or industrial application where they wanted to use it as an "embedded" type system.

Erik

Any identifying markings, names, numbers, etc. would be helpful too. If you post pictures, don't forget to snap some of the inside/mainboard. I'm thinking that an Apple ][ board should have some ID markings screened onto it somewhere.

--T

Good idea on the photos and I just got a digital camera.

I will pull it out of storage within a couple of days and send along some photos.

Thanks,
Brad

Heaven forbid there should be an original Apple I motherboard inside there. I heard they were sold as a motherboard only and you had to find your own housing for it. If it is an original Apple I MB, you just hit the lottery.

No, if it was an Apple 1, the school would not have sold it.

The Apple 1 did not support a floppy disk drive, unless someone figured out how and made a homebrew card.

Are you positive it's an Apple at all?

Back