• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Weird RAM issue on a DDR4 motherboard.

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
I have an Asrock X99X motherboard with 8 DDR4 RAM slots (LGA 2011 -3).

When I put the machine together recently, I used 6 x 4GB SK Hynix DDR4-2133 RAM in tripple channel for 24GB and all was fine.

Today I got in 6 more DIMMs of the same exact brand/rating/cas as what I used before, but they don't show up in the system. The weird thing is the EUFI RAM setup shows the slots as empty (as does Windows 10), but when you browse the installed items in the EUFI graphics of the board it shows all 8 slots filled and the correct brand name, CAS, and size. In Windows programs like CPU-Z show quad channel 32GB RAM with the correct information and even different serials on all 8 DIMMs.

Any idea what is up with the setup?

Did you check your new RAM on the ASRock QVL listing. You might want to start with a working setup and then swap the new RAM stick in one at a time.

New RAM is the same as the old ram (company, spec, density). I swapped old and new same thing. The 2 RAM slots farthest back from the CPU are the ones causing issue.

Try reseating the cpu. I've seen this happen on a few Intel builds when trying to work in dual channel. Sometimes its just that, other times the heatsink might just be putting too much pressure on the cpu and reseating it helps. Dunno what cooler you are using...

This is pretty common on Intel builds, never seen it happen personally on AMD, but I've heard of it. I know at least Threadripper first gen had this issue.

Last edited:
I have an Asrock X99X motherboard with 8 DDR4 RAM slots (LGA 2011 -3).

When I put the machine together recently, I used 6 x 4GB SK Hynix DDR4-2133 RAM in tripple channel for 24GB and all was fine.

Today I got in 6 more DIMMs of the same exact brand/rating/cas as what I used before, but they don't show up in the system. The weird thing is the EUFI RAM setup shows the slots as empty (as does Windows 10), but when you browse the installed items in the EUFI graphics of the board it shows all 8 slots filled and the correct brand name, CAS, and size. In Windows programs like CPU-Z show quad channel 32GB RAM with the correct information and even different serials on all 8 DIMMs.

Any idea what is up with the setup?
You can't be positive that the new RAM is good. Check it first.

Try reseating the cpu. I've seen this happen on a few Intel builds when trying to work in dual channel. Sometimes its just that, other times the heatsink might just be putting too much pressure on the cpu and reseating it helps. Dunno what cooler you are using...

This is pretty common on Intel builds, never seen it happen personally on AMD, but I've heard of it. I know at least Threadripper first gen had this issue.
Vetroo U6 Pro cooler, will try reseating.

Intel's large LGA sockets have had problems with memory channels dropping out since back in the Nehalem days on LGA1366. The large socket coupled with the extreme uneven mounting pressure, and a heavy cooler levering the socket sideways causes pins in the socket to make poor/no connection, usually resulting in random memory slots dropping out.

You can try to remove the CPU and remount it, but generally once the board is warped, there's little you can do to make it go back to the way it was.

I think there used to be "memory brace" kits for those large sockets that would go on the back of the board and have the CPU cooler screw into them. They were essentially big hunks of aluminum that prevented the board from warping as much. Though I don't know if it'd help on an already bent board. It may result in board failure if the BGA joints on the socket are already stressed, pushing them back the other direction might make them crack and goodbye board.

Back