SomeGuy

Veteran Member
Great Scott! It's October 21, 2015!

attachment.php

Cool Antique Computer.

So, is this reality now? :)

shop-1.jpg

what's your point?

Antique used to mean 60+ years old. The term in thrown around haphazardly.

Compact Macs are easier to find then vanilla PCs it seems. They're so cute, still. But getting boring. They were boring LOL, but for their cuddly compact cuteness.

tipc - that photo is from Back to the Future II, yesterday (today in the US?) was the day Marty lands in the future. I noticed it too when watching some clips from the movie yesterday.

We didn't actually get flying cars, and we have Loading Zones instead of Landing Zones, but that Mac did make me smirk.

"...and if you're interested in dust, we have a quaint little piece from the 1980s – it's called a DustBuster."

Yeah... we still make those. Except now we have more than a 3.6V battery. Though, somehow we still use Ni-CD.

And modern dustbusters are totally useless. I have one that the filter clogs within 5 minutes of turning it on, every time I use it. Then, I have to wash out the filter and wait a day for it to dry.

That looks like the one I have. But maybe it's a newer model.

I've never been able to get the filter clean enough to flow air without washing it.

It's totally useless. It's one of those things that really burns me for purchasing it.

I bought one NOS a few years ago but it has apparently vanished.

Everyone I know was watching the movies last night. I sat down with the parents and we watched it on Laserdisc, for authenticity.

Things I want but have no room for:
The Back To The Future Trilogy on Laserdisc
A Laserdisc player
:)

>Couldn't you at least get the first one on CED?

Since you brought it up, I had factory training from RCA on the CED system like 1982 or somewhere in there. Serviced them for a couple of years until the technology went dead. My test movie was
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I watched that movie a hundred times ...

I still remember a scratch in the disc right where they jumped and yelled oooh shiiiit. I can hear the skipping to this day ....

Larry G

Last edited:
That was great. I was laughing too. Doc Brown's point about smart phone's having the computing power to solve astrophysical equations and now just being used to take selfies.
However, I remember in the 80's thinking most of what I see computers being used for in the general population is playing games, what a waste. (I'm ducking as I say that). I mainly think that because
I wasted much of my childhood in the 60's watching television. Of course, if Doc was shown how the smart phone uses satellite gps and mapping capability that would really fascinate him
but it wouldn't be funny.

PS - Hmmm, I bet the gps coordinate system itself could be considered an astrophysical equation ...

I've got an awesome player. It's a Sears brand one made by Hitachi. Way better than the RCA ones I've seen. My long gone GSD ate the remote. :( I don't watch TV or movies, so the player collects dust.

I don't have that many movies anyway. There used to be a place in Madison called "The Buy and Sell Shop". They had a whole room full of CEDs and once in a while I'd buy one just for the sake of it.

>It's a Sears brand one made by Hitachi.

Sure it's Hitachi ? RCA held the patent on the CED system. It was their R & D.
Maybe they used Hitachi as their manufacturer. Now that I think of it RCA VCR's were made by Hitachi so could be.
I don't suppose you could get a picture with the cover off? Or maybe just take the access cover off to get a picture of the stylus?
I would recognize RCA's design.

Larry G

I can't really take the cover off. The unit is plugged into an outlet that is behind the shelving unit that it rests on. I'd have to empty the shelving unit to get it down. But here are some pictures of the stylus:

KIMG0227.jpg
KIMG0228.jpg
KIMG0229.jpg
KIMG0226.jpg

I have had it apart in the past. I do know it was manufactured by a Japanese company, and they did have their own brand on it except for the Sears units. I've seen one just like it with the Japanese brand on the front.

I think it was Hitachi. But for some reason I always get Hitachi and Toshiba mixed up so who knows.

It is stereo, and the feature set is different than RCAs offerings.

Last edited:
Back