• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Western Digital WD286-WDM20 Motherboard

ibmapc

Veteran Member
So, I bought this motherboard yesterday. Specs are here. I noticed that there was an option for an IDE interface but the E-bay pics show that the IDE header(J5) is missing as well as RP5 to the left of the header location and a few jumper blocks. Is possible to get IDE working on this board if I populate those missing items? RP5 looks to be a Resistor Pack. In one of the picks there are traces that can be seen connecting RP5 to the IDE header. What value of resistance would be appropriate here? I wonder if the BIOS would need to be upgraded to use IDE or should I put a ROM on a NIC with XUB?

Last edited:
So, I bought this motherboard yesterday. Specs are here. I noticed that there was an option for an IDE interface but the E-bay pics show that the IDE header(J5) is missing as well as RP5 to the left of the header location and a few jumper blocks.
This is a great board! It was in the first computer that I got in 1989 and still have. I also have the manual.

The missing jumper blocks are W10 - IRQ 14 IDE Support and W22 - IDE Chip Select.

Hey Greg, how about If I scan the section(s) pertinent to the motherboard as parts of the manual are for the rest of the computer?

BTW, this manual is from the late 80s, before Chinese was invented. :)

That would be AWESOME. By the way, how much memory are you able to put on the motherboard. TH99 says 4 Meg MAX but further down the page it shows configuration for 16 meg using 4M x 9 sims. Also does yours have the on-board IDE working?

I'm kinda count'n my chickens before they hatch here. I don't even know if this board is going to work!! I sure hope it does. I figure I will probably have to do the external battery mod for the Ds1287.

Last edited:
The manual also says 4 MB. I've never tried more than that.

Mine does not have the IDE header. I have to use a card to get IDE.

Back