• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What are the top 10 rarest vintage computer bits you own?

Once I understood how the NC4000 chip worked, I made a couple high level instructions with the low level code. Having 8 bit I/O, I needed a handy way to swap 8 bit values. I had a register at address -1, since that was an easy literal. It'd swap the 2 bytes. All done in two clock cycles. I thought that was an easy way to get bytes. The processor was so fast I had to put delays in to keep the floppy controller happy. It didn't have a chance to respond with the status otherwise. Using the hard drive, I could meta compile the entire Forth in less then 10 seconds. Not all that fast by todays standards but when one considers it was a 16 bit processor in 4K gates.
Dwight

I've only read about it in Philip Coopman's book and remember that they used to advertise as 4 and 5 MIPs machines long before the 386 ever came out and the 286 was gasping to break 1 MIPS. It is a shame innovative architectures rarely take off.

Occasionally Harris RTX (son of Novix) boards do show up in eBay, but they don't hold the same mystique.

How about rare items that you've had a part in developing?

I've got all sorts of rare tidbits; a 1401 core frame, a few "cordwood" modules from a CDC 6600, etc. But the Durango F85 is special to me, as the the Poppy (which I have been fruitlessly looking for for at least 20 years). Narrowly missed one being junked in Australia a few years ago...

What Chuck was a Poppy and if one was here in Australia could there be another ?

I don't keep anything around if it's both rare and worth a lot of money. I'd keep Voodoo5's around if they were as valuable as a RIVA TNT2. The money I make off a Voodoo card can go towards something useful, like expensive modern PC parts. Old computers are toys to me, but a Voodoo5 is cool looking nevertheless. I'm not a serious gamer. I don't mind low end cards like an Intel i740 or a TNT2 m64, they work well for the era of old games I tend to play.

I have some systems which might not be rare for others but they are for me because it took me a long time to get them.
My PDP8/E is an example and all the NOS modules which came with it.
Other items on the list are dedicated to Robotron, i.e. a "Kassettenlaufwerkseinheit K5261". A really nice cassette tape reader/writer.
I also like to add my variations of HP Apollo 9000/300,400 and 700 systems where the 300er is a complete set including screen, tablet and plotter.

And I have rare systems where I do not know how rare those are.
This NCR system is an example. So far I could just find a system close to but still didn't find a match. Maybe an early DMV prototype?
Ncr3 (Large).jpg

Some rare stuff is of pure industrial usage like a Balzer QDP-101

Most rare and the only one in the world is my PDP11 for VMEbus as it is self developed ;)

Cheers,
Peter

I don't know if it's as rare as I've heard, but I have an Apple IIc Flat Panel Display in the original box. The box is pretty faded, but the display is nearly perfect. It was $15.00 at a second hand store in the 90's. I guess a deal like that is kind of rare.

I'd like to change my list a little.

1. MCM/70
2. CPU Systems CPU-8 (Fairchild F8)
3. IBM 7690 Nursing station (PS/2 based)
4. IMSAI 8048 Control Computer
5. Bill-1 (8008 based)
6. Processor Technology Sol-PC
7. Zeus 80 (Z80 based)
8. Elenco Agvision (Tandy Videotex)
9. Tiger Learning Computer (Apple II based)
10. Viatron System 21

The rarest pieces or machines would be those which there were only ever one of. So my first home computer was one I designed and built from scratch using TTL I.C.s and wire wrapping. That was the winter of 1975-76. It still works. Was programmed in machine language Hexadecimal format. Also designed and built a printer fro it. Still works too. Used it for running lab experiments for several years. 8 bit data with 16 bit addressing. 15 8 bit parallel ports for I/O which I sometimes connected a serial port module to.
Probably the rarest machine I have that was produced in numbers is my COM-TRAN TEN. That was a computer and electronic trainer back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Its 8 bit data with 10 bit address bus. Thats where the 10 in the name comes from. Can therefore address a whopping 1024 bytes of memory. Was enough for training purposes. Mine is an early machine from 1972. Was used at Cincinnati Tech. The machine is TTL I.C. based. It is branded Fabri-Tek, later ones where Digiac. Early ones like mine have magnetic core memory. Later ones had solid state RAM. Still working on getting more of it working. Would really help if I had the schematics manual.

stephen

I think the rarest piece I own is a Motorola Atlas board with an IBM PowerPC which seems to predate their actual PPC line (PowerStack). Aside from my own sites, the only references online for this seem to be an old mail list thread and a copy of the manual if you dig deep enough. Most of the stuff I currently own isn't exactly rare but probably a little harder to find as they are higher demand such as the Mac Color Classic, Mac Quadra 840AV.

My rarest machine I own is a Tandy Model 16. Its in excellent cosmetic shape and I'm planning on doing a full restoration starting in January of next year.

I don't have a huge collection yet(not enough to have a top ten rarest) but some interesting and rare electronics I own are:
A Newtek Calibar
A Commodore sx-64
An IBM PC 5150 (in excellent like new condition)
A Macintosh 512k
A functional PowerBook 100
Some weird card that I think was from the Altair 8800 (though it has proven to be untraceable).

I'd like to change my list a little.

I checked your website to find out what the hell an MCM/70 is, but couldn't find it. It must be really something if it's now at #1 in your list.

Ah, I found it on Wikipedia:
500px-MCM_Model_70_microcomputer_1974.jpg

I checked your website to find out what the hell an MCM/70 is, but couldn't find it. It must be really something if it's now at #1 in your list.

It is definitely number 1 for me. I do have pics on my site but they are just a "picture dump" of unorganized images of how I received it. It is not linked to the main page but anyone can see them here: http://vintagecomputer.ca/mcm-70-pic-dump/

I have some less common early-ish machines, but the only ones that are probably somewhat rare are two of my Tandy's.

First is a 1000AX. Supposedly sold through Wal-Mart back in the day, it is an SX clone - http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy/1000ax

And the other is a "PC-1000". Tag on the back says it was custom manufactured by Tandy, but otherwise no identifying marks. Not sure the history behind this one. http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy/pc1000

It is interesting the stories of folks passing up on things that were then junk and are now desirable. I've even done the same...such as not caring at all about and ultimately donating a Gateway like someone posted a photo of and another person expressed interest in. I guess that's how things become collectible and more valuable...they have go through the phase where most people toss them out, then eventually the few remaining leftovers shine. :) I picked up a couple of Mac LCII machines and IIe cards in the early 2000's...nowadays they hold real value! The real score was picking up the matching Y-cable at a thrift store a few years back for like $2.

Wesley

Oh jeez.. what do I have in the HomeComputerMuseum

I guess these 2 count:

That's a (original) Sinclair MK14 and an Acorn System 1

I've heard this is quite rare, at least in Europe it is:

Tandy TRS-80 Model 16

Also this one, albeit sort-of broken:

Compudata/Exidy Sorcerer II with S100 expansion and Micropolis (hard sectored) double drive.

I don't think they're very rare, but it's still a nice to have:

Commodore KIM-1

While we're at it, this DAI computer with original DAI drives (from Belgium) (and I have the box too)

Since I'm from the Netherlands, we need to include this:

Philips P2000M complete (with monitor and printer). Considered as very rare (the P2000T is the opposite of rare and looks nearly the same)

And this one:

Compudata Tulip System 1
The very first Tulip-computer (well, the Exidy was before that, this one was developed by CompuData and they renamed the company to Tulip)

And finally, this one in the middle:

Probably not that rare for American folks. Quite rare in Europe. This one has a backstory which makes it unique. It's actually the very first Lisa that was put on Dutch power. It comes from the very first Apple reseller of the Netherlands who used this machine as demo. It started it's life as a Lisa 1 but has been upgraded to a Macintosh XL (and still booting from it's HDD). The mainboard and casing are from 1982 so it was produced before the Lisa ever hit the shelves. Sent to NL to show what the Lisa was but had to be upgraded.

And the list can go on, Commodore CDTV (complete, with keyboard etc), Laser 210 and 310, Atari Mega STE, Commodore SX64 (NTSC), Tandy TRS80 Model II, Tandy MC-10 PAL-version (boxed), 1978 Commodore PET 2001 from the first run (white keys on the built in tape player), Apple IIGS complete (dunno if it's rare in US, it is in NL).

Well, I have an Exidy Sorcerer with a UK produced floppy drive. The Sorcerer was nursed back to health but the FDD is not working.
A TRS-80 Model II, one of my favourite machines for CP/M/
A Superbrain I with QD spec drives.
Intel MDS-231 (not working, yet).
Memotech 512
Acorn Atom
PET 4032
Microwriter.

I think these are "rare", whatever that really means. You probably know that I have a Philips P2000C as well.

KIM-1s are certainly getting thin on the ground, to be sure. They never existed in massive numbers to begin with, and nowadays I suspect estate sellers think they're just circuit boards and junk them, especially if they're not in any particular type of case. Too bad because odds are pretty good they'll still work. Tough machines.

I do like that Acorn System I.

My collecing (as it is) is more geared toward 1970's/early 80's pre-PC technology. I try to keep everything in extremely good physical and working condition. My favorites, although not necessarily "rare" or "valuable" items:

HP 2644A - fully functional, with a good set of tapes. The idiot I bought this from shipped it in a box of peanuts, and the case was damaged in several areas. After a bout of genuine obsession, I managed to repair it with auto body materials and even restored the textured paint. The screen is "cataract-free", because using a nichrome wire and an AT power supply, I cut off the implosion shield, removed the moldy RTV, and replaced it with aquarium-grade RTV on the edges. Really Scary. The screen itself is amazingly burn-free. This is a Good Thing, because I looked several years ago and a "new" tube was several hundred dollars! The only thing I don't like about it is that it is large and I don't usually display it.

Two ADM-3A's, with full RAM and lower case. These are completely restored except I had to replace the "doors" with a brushed aluminum plate. I replaced the CRT's with new B/W tubes (get them while you can!). One had the rare lower case 2513 chip, one didn't when I got it. So, I made a jig to read out the 2513-LC to an EPROM reader, blew a 2716 UVEPROM copy, and made a little daughterboard to plug into the socket that made the 2716 look like the 2513-LC. Good hack IMO.

Two "Intel" branded paper tape readers in Intel blue - one is rack-mounted, one is a fan-fold handling unit as a standalone box. On these, I've replaced the internals with LED lighting and with modern electronics.

Qwint KSR-743 Teleprinter - I worked for Qwint in the 80's, and used the service manual that I had written years earlier to restore it! Qwint was the successor to Martin Research, who (with largely the same people) had the first ad in Byte Magazine issue #1. I had to re-ink the unobtanium ribbon cartridge (which is a "re-inking" cartridge. Qwint's workforce was the best and smartest with which I've ever worked. Too bad that they wound up making a fabulous product right at the end of the terminal era and the dawn of the PC era. Zebra Technologies bought their assets in the 80's.

DSI Paper tape punches - both working. One is a little dull, but the other can punch Mylar.

Paper/Mylar blank punch tape - including probably the last rolls/boxes of genuine DEC rolled and fan-folded grey paper tape in the Universe. Also, a really nice "crank winder" for paper tape.

Two DEC VT320's, B/W tubes, MMJ I/O - not really "rare" or interesting, but with new CRT's, fully functional and painted close to the original colors (the yellowing was awful), with MMJ to RS-232 cables that I made with the proper ends and MMJ crimper.

-------------------------------

Things that I HAD and THREW OUT LIKE AN IDIOT in the 80's:

Working 6502 Jolt computer - pretty darned rare, all white ceramic chips :(

TV Typewriter II - working and repaired by Don Lancaster HIMSELF, with a note about my indifferent soldering. What did he want - I was 16 years old :)

Morrow's MicroStuff Octal 8080 CPU/Front Panel with 4K boards and MITS 4-slot motherboard. That front panel was a great product.

Homebrew (?) IBM PC Clone, 1983 - soldered together by ME, with a linear power supply shieided with Erector Set metal. Worked great and even said "Copyright IBM" on the screen when you booted. Complete with wooden case made by my grandfather and Viatron System 21 monitor (which was really a decontented TV in a nice metal box) for the NTSC CGA board. Long story....

KIM-1s are certainly getting thin on the ground, to be sure. They never existed in massive numbers to begin with, and nowadays I suspect estate sellers think they're just circuit boards and junk them, especially if they're not in any particular type of case. Too bad because odds are pretty good they'll still work. Tough machines.

I have not seen a KIM with ceramic CPU available for sale in some time.

I do like that Acorn System I.

I have only come across two of them myself, and I have only seen a small handful on ebay. I have a beautiful working rev A with all white ceramic ROMs and CPU.

100.jpg 102.jpg

I had a KIM-1 sitting around for 10 to 15 years. I finally got around to powering it up. I found the it had lost both the CPU and the main 6530. My guess is that at some point someone had connected 12v to the 5v line by mistake. The protective diode hadn't blown but it is unlikely that these two went bad on their own. I made my own version of a 6532 to 6530 converter and a small diagnostic board to plug onto the expansion ports.
I now have a working KIM-1 :) It isn't as original any more with the converter and CPU replaced but function has always been more important then originality for me.
Some of the prices on ebay look to be dreams they still get a reasonable amount. Considering that they were cranked out by the thousands, it is strange that so few have survived. It may be as was said, to the uninformed, they are just an unidentified PC board.
Dwight

Back