• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What are they?

Those are SCSI terminators. When you have an SCSI bus you chain all the devices together and at the very end, you put those terminators on the unused ports to close the loop of devices. Those would be used for external devices like CD ROM drives and scanners. Internal ones for Hard Drives look different. SCSI isn't used much anymore but is still popular with servers.

what you have there is an apple power book SCSI cable the square hdi-30 connector goes to the port on the power book and the other end goes to a SCSI device.

Did your friend have a Macintosh? SCSI was very popular in Macs and was on board most of the time. Looks like some older SCSI gear that was used with a Mac.

Probably, I think the guy I got it from worked for NASA, so maybe he did own a Macintosh. I had those items for a while now, I just wanted to know what they were before I sell them…

Here is another one, I’ve tried searching Google, but I can’t find any information about this cable. I bought this at a thrift store about 5 years ago thinking it was some kind of midi cable. But a midi cable only has 5-pins, not 8…

cable.jpg

Best Guess is EGA/CGA to what appears to be the original S-Video port. I could be wrong but thats what it looks like to me. The DB-9 connector style was commonly used on monitors of that era and the original S-video was honky like that.

No matter, the pins are in the wrong arrangement for S-Video. A LOT of stuff used those connectors, it could belong to anything really. Could even be proprietary.

Its okies. I almost wonder if it was a device cable to connect a peripheral to a machine. You are right, cables like that are commonly used in audio but I don't know anything about that. Seems interesting though, that DB-9 connector really reminds me of the monochrome monitor ones but it could be something else.

It just dawned on me, that might possibly be an RGB cable for the Sega Genesis/MasterSystem.

Those consoles used DIN-8, and a common hack was the RGB cable, which plugged into the Commodore 1084 monitor.

You are right, cables like that are commonly used in audio but I don't know anything about that.
Its true that the DIN connector is used for audio, but that design is only for 2-pins, and 3 with its stereo.

It just dawned on me, that might possibly be an RGB cable for the Sega Genesis/MasterSystem.
I don’t think it is, since two of the pins on the Genesis are for composite video and audio. The cable connects all eight pins to the DB9, so that wouldn’t work...

Of course, I thought the same thing as well...

Last edited:
I also remeber the Wang PC which had EGA-ish input/output through DIN connectors. I can't swear how many pins it has though, or if the arrangement matches.

That’s probably what its for, I should hold on to it then, never know when its going to be handy…

Back