• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What are your favorite CP/M tools or utilities?

alank2

Veteran Member
What are your favorite CP/M tools or utilities?

I've found that UNZIP.COM works fine as long as I use PKZIP 1.1 to compress files.

I'm a fan of Zap or SuperZap.

I've just started using COPY that comes with ROMWBW and it is handy.

Survey is always handy.

du-v89.lbr
nswp207.lbr
nulu152a.lbr
unarc16.lbr
uncr28.lbr

~/DOS_Utils/Convert/convert.exe, convert.usr, & convert.doc

Larry

Last edited:
The one I still use all the time is SID (under emulation in a command window) whenever I want to do hexadecimal arithmetic. But under CP/M itself, my faves were:
ZDE for text editing
DU89/DU90: sector editor
Z8E: debugger
Dazzlestar: interactive disassembler

Other than my HP-16C for arithmetic, I use (gasp) google. Just key in, say,
0x23 * 1234
And it replies
0xA8B6
(note the mixed radius in the equation)

techtinkering.com has some good comparative reviews and advice on various classes of CP/M utilities.
Very informative. Choose your own favorites.
E.g.:

(not affiliated with the techtinkering site in any way)
-- Tom S

QL is probably my favourite utility. It's a text viewer that displays a directory of files and then you can easily look at each, even if they are squeezed or crunched and held in a .LBR file. It also contains a hex viewer. For a 10k utility it really is very good. Like Chuck, I'm also a big fan of ED.
I am affiliated with TechTinkering in every way ;)

The entire Z-System environment.
To wit you now come down to I think a core question.

When does CP/M stop being CP/M.

Is CP/M just the BIOS and BDOS, or is it more of the stack (CCP, PIP, the other CP/M utilities).

Wordstar... Might seem a strange choice, but I used it as the editor when coding for a few years, and really began to appreciate it.

Wordstar is the reason my High School computing teacher told me I would never have a career in technology.

Wordstar is the reason the University I attended kicked me out of my course.

Wordstar is the reason I lost my student support and had to get a job.

And the first job I got was in a R&D lab writing z80 asm files in..... Wordstar.

After that, I started to like Wordstar.

To wit you now come down to I think a core question.

When does CP/M stop being CP/M.

Is CP/M just the BIOS and BDOS, or is it more of the stack (CCP, PIP, the other CP/M utilities).

One could quibble all day about this question, but in my view it comes down to: "Does the environment support most/all of the applications developed for CP/M".

techtinkering.com has some good comparative reviews and advice on various classes of CP/M utilities.
Very informative. Choose your own favorites.
E.g.:

(not affiliated with the techtinkering site in any way)
-- Tom S
Nice articles! Unfortunate, though, that there are no links in the article on where to download those utilities.

Nice articles! Unfortunate, though, that there are no links in the article on where to download those utilities.

As mloewen says they are available in the *Humongous* CP/M Software Archive, specifically on the Walnut Creek CD - although there are lots of different versions of these tools available on it. If you look again at the article you will see a link near the start of each tool section which links to the best version of each that I could find.

Back